PDA

View Full Version : Caster Angle

GraemeWebb
13th January 2010, 04:50 PM
Can someone tell me the standard caster angle for the sierra upright when fitted with the offset mushroom and fitted to the roadster. I will probably using BMW uprights (I already have them from the donor car) and would like to keep the geometry of the front suspension as close to the original design as possible.

alga
13th January 2010, 05:51 PM
The caster angle does not depend on the mushroom inserts. It is fixed in the geometry of the wishbones. Imagine the top and bottom wishbones in place with the joints installed and correctly spaced. The caster angle is the inclination of the imaginary line between the centers of balljoints, the kingpin axis. The excentric mushroom moves the hub around this line, but does not change the inclination of the line.

GraemeWebb
13th January 2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks but I understand that perhaps I should of said what is the standard castor angle. The posision of the offset style mushroom does have an effect on the steering though (scrub radius?), as descibed elswhere in the forum.

Another question to the guys who have finished the roadster (or cleverer people than myself - not difficult) what ride hight (ground to under lower chassis rail dimmension).

Talonmotorsport
13th January 2010, 06:38 PM
3 degrees is a good starting point for most road cars. How ever as the roadster is light (depending on engine and beer gut:rolleyes: ) you could always run 5 deg of caster and 2-3 deg of camber. This would make the steering heavier at parking speeds but would make the front turn in quicker.