PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sender?

Talonmotorsport
13th January 2010, 08:58 PM
What route are people taking with the fuel sender? how difficult is it to remove the sierra unit and get it to reseal, is it easier to use a new universal unit that reads the same. I'm not building my car from a single doner so don't have a tank to look at.

mark
13th January 2010, 09:08 PM
I looked at the standard sierra sender when making my tank and decided the work i would need to do to it was not worthwhile when compared to buying a new one

Its quite possible to use but the peace of mind that a new guage gives for about £25 i dont think its worth re-using

dogwood
13th January 2010, 10:00 PM
I used the standard Sierra one.
It sealed no problem, It would have worked ok as well.
If I hadn't put the b****dy baffle in the way:rolleyes:

David

davidimurray
13th January 2010, 10:03 PM
Have you decided what clocks you are planning to use. If you plan on using motorcycle type ones then you may need a different resistance range to that of the Sierra unit.

HandyAndy
13th January 2010, 10:07 PM
Phil ( Talon ).....

i have a spare sierra clocks binnicle if you need it .

cheers
andy

Talonmotorsport
14th January 2010, 12:15 AM
Cheers Andy I will bare that in mind. Making my own tank is easy enough as it will be made to suit my needs, how ever making tanks for other people is another matter. I've been asked a few times about fuel tanks the only problem is I can't keep every body happy as it's more or less a custom part, depending on what rear tub you've got and what electrics you have. So what I've been thinking is four sizes of tank in two different materials with a universal sender hole and either supply a bolt on blanking plate or a new unit pre fitted. I've made tanks for autograss cars so I know how to place the baffles,sump and breather.

Option 1: a book spec tank in either 1-1.2 mild steel or 1.6 ali to fit the book spec rear tub ie steel tubes and ali skin.
Option 2: a book spec tank made taller for longer range steel or ali.
Option 3: a slightly narrower tank book height in either 1-1.2 mild steel or 1.6 ali to suit the Saturn fibre glass tub (few problems here as every body may have done the frame work differently hence my custom problem?)
Option 4: narrow Saturn tank longer range (taller) in steel and ali.

I'm looking to start this around the end of feb, as for price I'll make mine and see how long it takes me to cut,bend and weld together. The more material I buy the cheaper I can get it!
Any thoughts?

adrianreeve
14th January 2010, 09:11 AM
I'd be interested in an ali tank made to book specs, with a sump for my fuel injection setup.

Look forward to seeing your work!

Cheers

Adrin