PDA

View Full Version : Co2 cylinder

AndyLockwood
15th January 2010, 04:31 PM
:D Does anyone in the devon area have a Co2 cylinder i can borrow/buy/loan to save on disposable bottles or overpriced BOC charges.

cheers

Andy

Tatey
15th January 2010, 05:10 PM
If you have no luck here try http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php, as thats where i managed to get mine for free :D. If that fails, talk to your local pubs and see if you can blag one from them.

AndyLockwood
15th January 2010, 05:21 PM
ok ill check it out thanx.. local pubs just changed hands so dont think ill have much joy there:(

davidimurray
15th January 2010, 05:30 PM
If that fails try giving Andy Kearsey a ring at Target Tools and Equipment. Andy is based in Gloucester but has a few distributors around the UK.He does a deal where you hire a bottle that costs around £50 for 3 years, there is a refundable deposit of around £30 and then around £25 per refill. His number is 01452 739005 or email targetgas@blueyonder.co.uk. Can supply Argon/Co2 or straight argon as I get for Tig welding.

twinturbo
15th January 2010, 05:40 PM
If that fails, talk to your local pubs and see if you can blag one from them.

That's commonly known as theaft, the bottles usualy still belong to the brewery or the gas supplier directly. Just like Bear Barrels that you can get done fore if found with them.

I use Clarke extra Fill, they last much longer and only cost a quid more than normal bottles.

TT

Tatey
15th January 2010, 05:44 PM
That's commonly known as theaft, the bottles usualy still belong to the brewery or the gas supplier directly. Just like Bear Barrels that you can get done fore if found with them.

You learn something knew everyday :eek:.

twinturbo
15th January 2010, 06:00 PM
I know this relates to the kegs, but brewerys are not thick when cylinders of C02 go missing..

http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/press.htm

TT

AshG
15th January 2010, 06:51 PM
got mine from energas. £35 for a 6foot tall argon c02 mix gas no rental charge just take it back when your done with it.

think it was £50 for pure argon. they have depots dotted around from the Birmingham upwards. the bottles are so big that they will last a couple of car builds so its worth the drive.

AndyLockwood
15th January 2010, 06:54 PM
are energas a local or national company sounds like a good deal

Andy

AshG
15th January 2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.energas.co.uk/location.asp

Tatey
15th January 2010, 07:36 PM
I have to say i would be tempted to do this, but it means buying a new regulator, and i can get my co2 bottle refilled for £8, so its not worth it at the moment.

GraemeWebb
16th January 2010, 09:57 AM
I get my CO2 from a Wine merchant in Coventry for about £14. Just off to get some actually, and some wire. run out at the same time. I will get the wire (0.8mm) from Halfords if theve got stock for a change.

Davey
16th January 2010, 10:10 AM
I have three small (3 foot) cylinders which I get refilled with CO2 at my local welding supplier. I think its about £18 a refill but not sure as it lasts me about a year per cylinder.

D.

GraemeWebb
16th January 2010, 05:25 PM
I get my CO2 from a Wine merchant in Coventry for about £14. Just off to get some actually, and some wire. run out at the same time. I will get the wire (0.8mm) from Halfords if theve got stock for a change.

Welll the gas as gone up to £18 and despite me reserving the wire on the web site (it showed that there was stock) Halfords let me down again. They will get some in on Wednesday.

ACE HIGH
16th January 2010, 08:44 PM
Try your local fire extinguisher people.Over her they sold me a retested Co2 cylinder with the correct fittings about $35 another $15 to fill it ,then only about 15 dollars a fill for 10 years for another retest,probably a bit dearer these days,often these bottles can be purchased out of date for free or $5/10.
If you use MIG I believe that CO2 is the best way to go,a bit more welding spatter ,slightly stronger and a lot cheaper than BOC or anyone else.
And consider Oxy/propane(LPG)and straight propane for heating,instead of Oxy/Acetelene.David:)

RAYLEE29
16th January 2010, 10:15 PM
hi, i have several pub style bottles the best one is ali about 6" dia 3ft tall i get it filled at a local fire extinguisher engineering company they pump it in for £1 a kilo so costs £6.50 a fill
you could prob get one from your local and do a swap return thing if you have a friendly landlord
Ray:)

Luke2842
16th January 2010, 10:28 PM
I managed to get mine from Calor Gas, its straight Co2 and it was only £15 for a 3ft one and no deposit. Not too sure why there wasn't a deposit but who am i to quibble?!?

Luke

Ryan
17th January 2010, 08:28 AM
I did the same as luke, went to see the local calor gas man. £15 for a 3ft bottle. No deposit requiried. When it runs out just return the bottle and swop it along with another £15 for a fresh one.