PDA

View Full Version : Floor pan - single panel or multiples?

Jezzer99
19th January 2010, 07:42 PM
More from a perspective of transporting sheets of aluminium, I'm thinkin of making my floor out of separate panels - so one for the drivers side and one for the passenger side along with a third piece to cover the underside of the tunnel.

Are there any issues in terms of doing this that people can thing of?

dogwood
19th January 2010, 07:52 PM
I've only got the drivers side and passangers side floor.
the tunnel is open

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/Picture137-1.jpg

teun
19th January 2010, 08:20 PM
I also left the tunnel open at this moment iam not sure wich motor iam going to use. I also own a westfield it has also the tunnel open.

mark
19th January 2010, 08:54 PM
I totally enclosed my floor across the tunnel, when i fitted my propshaft last week i had to pass it through the drivers side of the tunnel to get it in, soon this area also be permanently be enclosed

So if i ever wanted to remove the prop by itself, it wouldnt be possible without removing the diff or gearbox first

This is no big deal in itself as i would imagine the next time the prop will be out so will the engine and gearbox

Its just a another point for people consider when deciding if they should enclose the tunnel or not

drury318
19th January 2010, 09:11 PM
I have 2 separate panels & a piece down the middle, I considered this necessary to stop things like plastic bags etc getting caught up and wrapped around the prop because the car is so low.
You may need access to the prop when you consider things like uj`s wearing, oil leaks from gearbox extension housing seals, reverse light switch failing, diff removal etc, etc. Dennis.

Davey
19th January 2010, 09:50 PM
I intend to leave my tunnel open at the bottom but I will also be fitting my floor panels inside the car not underneath it.

D.

RAYLEE29
19th January 2010, 10:04 PM
my tunnel is open on the bottom but if you decide to enclose it just make the top cover removeable for maintenance
Ray:)

AshG
19th January 2010, 10:13 PM
i did mine in one panel the prop is easy to get in and out if you take the passenger side of the tunnel off.

Johnnybizzle
2nd February 2010, 08:35 PM
I did mine in one piece in Ali, keeping the tunnel open will save a little weight