PDA

View Full Version : is there a LHD chassis drawing?

Rayman
23rd January 2010, 10:48 PM
I got warned that I cant build a LHD version of the book chassis without changing some of the rails. I searched through the threads here at the forums and found a couple of drawings and PDFs, but every one of them were identical to the ones in my book. Did I simply misunderstood something or are there a newer version of the book that has been altered according to these new drawings? (My book is "reprinted july 2008")

Janne E
23rd January 2010, 11:02 PM
Rayman look under announcments, book amendments there is a lhd chassi but I couldnīt open it..

Janne

Rayman
24th January 2010, 12:04 AM
Yes i have seen those drawings and they are the same as the ones in my book.

AshG
24th January 2010, 12:17 AM
could it be possible that your book is a lhd version :D if the drawings in your book are lhd then i would think those are the ones to use.

Rayman
24th January 2010, 01:33 AM
no they are not LHD drawings

Blade
24th January 2010, 09:14 AM
Would i be wrong in thinking that if i was to mirror my cad drawings of a rhd chassis it would be a lhd chassis ? time to have a play in cad i think :confused:

twinturbo
24th January 2010, 10:07 AM
I could be wrong, But I think the drive shafts are slightly different lenghts. And I guess the chassis is designed to offset the diff. If you mirrored then the diff would be offset the wrong way..

If you then offset the diff corectly then the tunnel would be off..

Does that sound plausible?

TT

flyerncle
24th January 2010, 12:14 PM
My humble opinion,the rear chassis is common to LHD/RHD, the footwells are the problem and transmission tunnel shape.
It should be possible to swap the measurements for the rails from the right to the left bearing in mind the position of the clutch operating arm.

Good Luck.

Nothing is impossible,just a little bit more work.

RAYLEE29
24th January 2010, 12:34 PM
OK, firstly the diff area is symetrical its the diff thats offset (the actual housing)
all the main chassis is symetrical too
the parts that are different are in the uprights around the front of the trans tunnel as the angular section is offset slightly probably for clearance around the bellhousing
if i were building a lhd chssais id build to book rhd dims apart from the steering support frame and the steel panels around the front of the tunnel as these oboiusly need to go the other side.
you will also need to change the pedal box width slightly to suit the different width at the front of the foot well
that should cover most of it
all the critical suspension pickups should be identical for both
hope this makes sense and i havent missed anything
Ray:)

Davey
24th January 2010, 12:35 PM
Surely the only differences are in the footwell area and steering column mountings?

D.

RAYLEE29
24th January 2010, 12:41 PM
isnt that what i said?

Bonzo
24th January 2010, 01:34 PM
isnt that what i said?

:D

I would go along with Ray & Pauls thoughts :)

Just change the construction of the steering support frame & Transmission tunnel to the left hand side.

As Paul said, just make a note of the clutch operating lever position.
I believe all of the type 9 boxes have them on the same side but some of the MT75 boxes have them the other side, the same is also true of the starter motor positions.

Starter & clutch positions will govern the construction of the transmission tunnel. ;)

The drive shafts are probaly different lengths due to the fact that one usually fits directly into the crownwheel assembly of the diff.

Hoybi
24th January 2010, 01:56 PM
Hello there,

I think it is not wise to construct the chassis to the book measurements and just mirror a few elements.
From the different replies you can draw some conclusions but I would advise anyone to build the (LHD)chassis with engin/transmission ready to trial fit before welding the front part of the transmission tunnel.

I'm ve built a LHD chassis with Pinto engine/type9 gearbox and had to alter a few things in order to accomodate these and have enough space for my broad feet!
Clutch lever : left hand side of transmission, seen from the driver's side
Starter engine (right hand side of transmission, seen from the driver's side)

AshG
24th January 2010, 01:59 PM
this might sound silly but why don't you just photocopy the drawings out of the book in mirror mode. or scan them on the pc then use paint or photoshop to mirror the image

i know chris has got the proper lhd drawings on his pc i will txt him and see if he can send them over so i can add them to the amendments sticky

RAYLEE29
24th January 2010, 02:35 PM
I agree that perhaps build all the chassis except the angled part of the trans tunnel then trial fit your engine and box before building up the rest of the tunnel
or make it to the mt75 drawings as beleive me you wouldnt want to go any bigger in the tunnel than that

flyerncle
24th January 2010, 05:35 PM
Nice to see you back in the fray Ronnie,Ash is on the money as usual transpose the dims from right to left.

Longerr has a running car LHD try contacting him.

alga
26th January 2010, 01:30 AM
Chris' LHD drawings were mostly a mirror image of the chassis, but he left TR5, the asymmetric engine bay triangulation bar at the right side of the chassis.
I flipped mine to the left, making a complete mirror image chassis.

I seem to remember that before the forum-geddon someone complained that on the LHD chassis the U8 upright does not properly clear the clutch release arm boot on Type 9. So I reduced the width of the pedal box by 10 mm when making the tranny tunnel. I cut the tubes by measuring the lengths required in place. I trial-fitted the transmission once, and it seems that I made the right decision. It's hard to judge visually if the bell housing is centered well in the tunnel, but it seems that the clearance between the boot and the chassis upright will not be much more than 10 mm, if at all.

AshG
26th January 2010, 02:06 AM
lhd chassis drawings now added to the book amendments page in the announcements page

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

direct link to download
http://www.haynesroadster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/haynesForum/Left_Hand_Drive_Chassis.doc

3GE Components
28th January 2010, 11:10 AM
Why mirror the chassis around the transmition tunnel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Type9 & MT75 gearboxes are the same regardless of wether they are fitted in a LHD or RHD Sierra are they not?

Kind regards

John

teun
28th January 2010, 11:53 AM
No John:cool: you are driving on the wrong side of the road:D and the starter is also located on the other side.:rolleyes:

pradaloup
28th January 2010, 03:40 PM
in France, the starter is on the right