PDA

View Full Version : Rage saw blades?

Talonmotorsport
26th January 2010, 09:26 PM
Following my recent accident with the 5 inch grinder and no eye wear I'm looking for some thing else to hurt my self with. I've been looking at Rage steel cutting blades any good or waste of money? I have a 250mm cold saw that I use for ...well every thing, but it will not cut 8x4 sheets of ali. The info says it'll cut 50mtr of 5-6mm plate but find that a little far fetched. How long do you think a blade would last cutting some thing softer like 3mm ali sheet with a dab of ct90 on it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320344092880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

les g
26th January 2010, 09:45 PM
Phil
have you tried your local BOC depot
i popped in ours this week for a couple of reels of mig wire and they have the Rage gear on a managers special
looked a very good price to me
cheers les g

andyuk697
26th January 2010, 09:46 PM
hi
i used the rage compound mitre saw with this blade in http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EVOLUTION-RAGE-3-255mm-TCT-SLIDING-MITRE-SAW-BLADE_W0QQitemZ110484881668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H ome_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item19b9698104for all my chassis and wishbones its blunt now but i will be buying this blade when i get paid

hope this helps Andy

Talonmotorsport
26th January 2010, 10:05 PM
Cheers guys just needed to know wether the blades where up to much use? I would have thought that a blade with that few teeth would'nt be any good for thinner gauge box section, hacking it at high speed instead of cut? My cold saw has 180 teeth and runs at 850rpm. I found some simular blades for £20-25 but as ali is more like wood from a blades point of view it might last a little longer. I'll let you know how I get on....Nurse?!

ACE HIGH
27th January 2010, 04:37 AM
I dont like these saws one bit,very dangerous in my opinion.
Use a hacksaw,power or hand,perhaps a power bandsaw,depending on what you are cutting.
Also take a look at the top of the line Bosch jigsaws with alloy cutting blades for sheet,(mine has cut 10mm steel plate,a bit much to expect but easily cuts 6 mm steel plate).
And take a look at the Makita nibbler,it cuts 3.2 mm steel easy and neat.

I have a particular dislike for the modern trend of using a "chopsaw" to cut any metals.This is an American practice,dangerous in my view.
35 years ago I made a metal cutting saw using discs/saws for metal from a plan from NZIG (BOC now),great for timber but not safe for metal cutting and it was much better with better guards than the cheap junk being sold out there at present.
Yes I know that this type of saw has been around from the begining of time and I still dont like them,unless they are used in a lathe where you can feed the work in gently but thats another story! David:)