PDA

View Full Version : Bored

AshG
28th January 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm bored so thought i would post a picture of my car.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1030356.jpg

not much left to do on it now.

Superloom
28th January 2010, 09:48 PM
Very nice, good work!!

HandyAndy
28th January 2010, 09:50 PM
looks fantastic Ash :cool:

are you intending to fit stone guards on your rear wings?

cheers
andy

AshG
28th January 2010, 09:55 PM
i might fit stone guards but im not sure if i would go carbon, stainless or something else.

my real concern is if my bonnet is going to catch fire from the heat of the exhaust as its all quite close for my liking

gingea1pom
28th January 2010, 09:56 PM
Ash every time I see your car, be it a picture or in the flesh it spurs me on.

I hope to get the Sierra out of the garage this weekend so I can get my garage back and trial fit the engine and gearbox in two weeks time when I have a week of work. Nine to five on the car.

Any news of gainful employment for yourself.

HandyAndy
28th January 2010, 09:58 PM
i might fit stone guards but im not sure if i would go carbon, stainless or something else.

my real concern is if my bonnet is going to catch fire from the heat of the exhaust as its all quite close for my liking

stainless ;) :cool:

edge the bonnet where exhaust exits with some metal piping.

andy

twinturbo
28th January 2010, 10:00 PM
Nice... :)

TT

Bonzo
28th January 2010, 10:04 PM
Looking fantastic Ash :)

A real credit to you, the many hours of hard work that you have put into the build are reflected in its build quality. :cool:

I must say, that Black contrasts nicely with the alloy & gives quite a stunning overall look :cool: :cool:

Really looking forward to seeing it for real at Stoneleigh mate

AshG
28th January 2010, 10:10 PM
she will be at stoneleigh. hopefully her first road legal show will be detling.

andy its not the opening that im worried about its the fg above the top of the bonnet that gets blooming hot

does anyone know what temp fg can withstand?

slimtater
28th January 2010, 10:15 PM
Looks great Ash - well done. How long before the S2000 engine?

AshG
28th January 2010, 10:20 PM
that went out the window. the block had a crack in it between 2 and 3 cylinder. got weighed in for scrap and the crank and other bits sold off.

there is a new plan and it will make quite a bit more power than the s2000 engine

slimtater
28th January 2010, 10:22 PM
Presume it will be a turbo engine then?

themaninthesuitcase
28th January 2010, 11:08 PM
An idea I saw on a rally car was some heavy duty vinyl around the spring catches for the bonnet.

Could you not get some clear/matching vinyl (doubled up maybe to be a bit thicker) and make a stone guard from that? Advantage is that when it does get damaged its a few mins with a hair dryer and its back to clean GRP and just fit a new one.

AshG
29th January 2010, 12:16 AM
TMITSC your on my wavelength

i was thinking about that vinyl stuff that they offer to put round your wheel arches at the car dealers when you buy a new car.

there are some post iva body work plans in the pipe line i just dont have the cash to do them pre iva at the mo.

tkpm
29th January 2010, 12:35 AM
What you need is Venture Shield, have used it my bikes for years. Very easy to fit.

Don't get cheap ones as there know good.

http://car-shine.co.uk/~carshine/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=610&osCsid=efee17da89c398590f8e3732a30d3114

Use it on Crash Helmets as well

AshG
29th January 2010, 12:43 AM
£75 that's more than half the price of a set of new arches lol

to be honest im not too bothered if the arches get a bit stone chipped. i built the car to rag the hell out of and i doubt i will give a it two thoughts as i try to work out which way to steer as i head towards a lamp post. :D

dogwood
29th January 2010, 07:45 AM
Looking great there mate.
2 weeks time I'll see it in the flesh (Yea back to the UK again :rolleyes: )
Suprised how "blue" those pipes look, considering it ain't on the road yet.;)

You got those IVA forms sent off yet?

AshG
29th January 2010, 08:43 AM
yep forms sent off just waiting for a date now. Still got quite a few bits to cover up but that is about it tbh

spud69
29th January 2010, 09:08 AM
Car looks really nice Ash, just a shame it's so far away from Teesside Autodrome.

Regarding the Bonnet grp, they will have been cast with Encore 30 Polyester Resin which according to the data sheet has a flash point of 451 deg C in its liquid state. From the look of the bonnet it is very close, as mine is but i have not had any problems so far.

For the rear wings they do get hit quite hard by the road stone chips, a cheap solution would be to cut and shape some aluminium guards and panit them black attached to the front of the wings. Looks okay to.

AndrewH

3GE Components
29th January 2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Ash,

Looking good :cool:

My brother wrote his S2000 off in the snow over Christmas, not too sure whats happening with it at the moment (insurance companies :mad: ) It was a Jap mag feature car, sporting a supercharged engine giving 300+ I'll drop him a line if you still want to go the S2000 route.

As for wing protection, either ally or thin stainless. Or you could try helicoptor tape.

It's a shame you're on the the other side of the world :D I could have stopped you being bored :D

Kind regards

John

les g
29th January 2010, 11:46 AM
Come on Ash
chin up you must be able to find something to do on that car of yours
you would know what bored really was if like me you stuck indoors
hobbling about on crutches
cheers les g

Bonzo
29th January 2010, 12:02 PM
What have you been & done to yourself Les !! :(

Don't sound very nice, whatever it was :eek:

3GE Components
29th January 2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah Les, what have you done? Nothing to do with the weekends over time job was it?

Ash, I know what you mean about the boredom thing. The other day I sat there wondering why soup spoons are round. How bad is that.

Kind regards

John

Jimmyd
29th January 2010, 03:58 PM
Looking good and yes you are shaming me in to getting some work done. I started the car when I was getting paid bonuses and now I'm not so stalled for a month or two. Still got a job which is a major plus. :D Enough of my crying

Question, what width of arches and what size of wheel/tyre are you using. I've seen a few cars recently where the wheels just don't fill the arches and it my opinion look naff.

J

les g
29th January 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Bonzo /Jon
nah nothing to do with the weekend i,m afraid
but it was at work and on o/t Tuesday night
had a machine down so i looked in on it on the way home as it it was only down the road from my house. in the dark slip and a tumble getting down
and sat in the mire thinking gosh that smarts a tad or in laymans terms (ffs thats bast**d sore)
bet thats gonna hurt in the morning
as you know i suffer from a condition called osteofites in me knee (that will be joint replacement eventually ) and that is now raging ...........and as for my foot and ankle well when you are a fat basta**d like me its always gonna be a painful sprain etc....
cheers les g
PS.hope you two are in better health
pps. no doubt TJ will be along shortly chippin that if i give up rugby at 33 and not 43 i wouldn,thave all these problems
HA got in first!!!!!

Bonzo
29th January 2010, 05:22 PM
That sounds a real bummer Les.

There was me thinking I was the only one that did things like that :rolleyes:

You take it easy & try to enjoy thr rest ......... You know the buggers will have you back at the grindstone soon enough. :(

Thats the trouble with a " propper " sport, tends to take it's toll on your body over the years :eek:

les g
29th January 2010, 06:17 PM
That sounds a real bummer Les.

There was me thinking I was the only one that did things like that :rolleyes:

You take it easy & try to enjoy thr rest ......... You know the buggers will have you back at the grindstone soon enough. :(

Thats the trouble with a " propper " sport, tends to take it's toll on your body over the years :eek:

Thats a common problem with us prop forwards Ronnie
we think we are invincible................
but TJ is probably right just too stupid to know when too quit....
cheers les g

PS One of TJ,s favourite quips when he used to come and watch was

thats why i prefer computers to prop forwards...............
you only have too punch info into a computer once to make it do what you need/want..............................urghhhh.:D