PDA

View Full Version : GRP arches and nose?

Talonmotorsport
30th January 2010, 03:43 PM
Just a quick question to any body who has made their own nose cones and wheel arches in GRP. How much of a pain is it to make the plugs and moulds? I like to think that I have a fair eye for equal and even, I did industrial model making at collage so have a fair idea of how to go about it. Is it worth the the out lay for the materials, bearing in mind that I could sell a more complete kit if I had decent enough moulds?

Tatey
30th January 2010, 03:55 PM
From visiting the 2 Andy's down at SSC, the moulds look quite complex to make and the cost of the gel coat, fibre glass matting and resin to me means that making my own would be too much of a cost factor, especially if you mess up some of the parts.

However if you are looking to make some to then sell on then maybe it would be worth your while?

twinturbo
30th January 2010, 04:52 PM
Depends how much spare time you have left over after concentration on your other fabrications and how much spare space you have.

It's going to take some time to make good bucks.

But I would say give it a go, just amke it a little different so there is some veriety.

TT

Talonmotorsport
31st January 2010, 11:38 AM
Been watching a few vids on youtube (no not those vids) about mould making and gel coat etc. Gel coat thats sprayed on what do you use to clean the gun out with so it does'nt become one lump?

spud69
31st January 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Rob,

To make the plugs and moulds its a massive amount of man hours, to date on the single seater for 2 moulds, although very complex i have spent about 250 hours to date. Material costs aren't too bad though. For the personal satisfaction of making all your own build parts some people would find it worthwhile.

For the gel coat i wouldn't really worry about spray coat as brush on gel is probably better for the intricate moulds for the roadster.

All the Best....AndrewH

fabbyglass
31st January 2010, 01:54 PM
Books and videos make anything seem easy to do, but in reality it's a lot of hard graft. Spraying gel coat is wicked if you are after mad affects but to coat moulds I wouldn't bother as you have to be quick as all the time you are spraying the gel is going off in the gun, to clean it you need acetone and take the gun apart quick smart or risk a gun full of cured gel coat.

Destroys shoulders by the way, all that rubbing down of filler...:mad:

alga
31st January 2010, 02:49 PM
To make the plugs and moulds its a massive amount of man hours, to date on the single seater for 2 moulds, although very complex i have spent about 250 hours to date. Material costs aren't too bad though. For the personal satisfaction of making all your own build parts some people would find it worthwhile.

So, Andy, would you recommend a single mold route with filler ant paint for a DIY one-off? I was entertaining thoughts of doing the proper two mold nosecone and scuttle, making it for myself and then maybe for some lads locally, but it is so much hassle, perhaps a one-mold process is more rational.

les g
31st January 2010, 03:05 PM
Books and videos make anything seem easy to do, but in reality it's a lot of hard graft. Spraying gel coat is wicked if you are after mad affects but to coat moulds I wouldn't bother as you have to be quick as all the time you are spraying the gel is going off in the gun, to clean it you need acetone and take the gun apart quick smart or risk a gun full of cured gel coat.

Only if your old and knackered from falling off motorbikes .......lol

spud69
1st February 2010, 10:10 AM

It certainly does Mark, all the rubbing down that's been done recently i've now got no fingerprints and arms like Popeye....:o

Alga, all the molds for the Roadster can be made in one piece with filler, paint, lacquer and lots of wet and dry being suitable plus many hours.

We do have shipping costs to Lithuania as an alternative could also offer some discount depending on Gel colour as colour prices vary drastically depending on choice.

Regards...AndyH

twinturbo
1st February 2010, 10:45 AM
One question Spud,

When the time comes for bodywork, I want a two colour scheme. Nose bonnet and arces different to the tub, scuttle, rear. Is that likly to affect the cost?

TT

spud69
1st February 2010, 10:57 AM
One question Spud,

When the time comes for bodywork, I want a two colour scheme. Nose bonnet and arces different to the tub, scuttle, rear. Is that likly to affect the cost?

TT

Hello TT,

if we have one of the colours in stock, popular one is black as a 2 colour scheme, then not but if 2 different gels need to be bought in then we have to discuss it as the gel coat is the most expensive part of the build.

There is always a way round to make it cheaper though by selecting more cost effective colours, basically anything with a red pigment in is more than double the cost of anything else.

Cheers....AndyH

Janne E
1st February 2010, 11:55 AM
Red is moore expensive but a real sportscar is RED :D :D :D

Andy have heared something from Ed or Emma??

Janne

spud69
1st February 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi Janne,

I've tried mobile but going straight to answering machine, have just phoned again and left a message to ring back. E-mail address on web page is a broken link so can't contact on that either.

Regards....AndyH

Janne E
1st February 2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Andy, I am really greatfull for the help to sort this out .

Janne