PDA

View Full Version : Hands up !!

dogwood
3rd February 2010, 07:01 PM
Hands up if you've been a plonker today..

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/Picture015.jpg

Spent most of the day cleaning up the engine and gearbox.
Also putting a nice new clutch in.....
Ready to lower the engine into place first thing tomorrow.

Guess it won't be "first" thing now...:mad:

flyerncle
3rd February 2010, 07:03 PM
Could have been worse David,could have been in the frame.;)

Talonmotorsport
3rd February 2010, 07:20 PM
At least you was only a plonker with nuts and bolts. My plonker moment came to day when I was welding handed fabricated suspension mounts on a grasstrack chassis. Went to start placing the left mount after completly welding the right only to find it did'nt fit properly. I'd welded the left hand one to the right hand side upside down and inside out. 15 mins to weld it on 2hrs 20 to cut it off with the plasma,clean with grinder and put it all back together, tit.

gingea1pom
3rd February 2010, 07:21 PM
Dave,

I didn’t get it, then opened my eyes and spat me tea all over the computer.

You will have that back in, in a jiffy.

Cheers Ginge

Big Vern
3rd February 2010, 07:22 PM
Yup I have to put my hand up as well.
Some years ago (well quite a lot) had to replace the core plug in the back of the pinto block on a MK3 Cortina (said it was a long time ago) Removed prop, gearbox, flywheel and clutch. Replace core plug. Refit flywheel and clutch, fit gearbox, fit prop, fit starter, fill gerabox with oil, slide round to connect clutch cable? look across floor at where gearbox had been standing to see clutch fork and release bearing still sitting on floor - DOH!

BV.

Bonzo
3rd February 2010, 07:39 PM
Oh David ....... You silly Billy :o :o

Remember ....... The less haste ..... The longer it takes to find out that you have had a misshap :D

Been there & got the T shirt mate :rolleyes:

AshG
3rd February 2010, 08:46 PM
when i rebuilt the bravo turbo i did a similar booboo. the clutches on them are pull action rather than push action. there is a lock ring on the clutch release bearing which when new has a little bit of plastic holding it in.

you are meant to mate the gb to the engine then push the clutch leaver the opposite way to normal. this slides the little bit of plastic off and the lock ring locks the bearing to the clutch plate.

guess what dumb dumb did. moved the leaver the wrong way the plastic fell off and the lock ring opened up meaning it wouldnt go into the clutch plate.

result was engine back out gb off muck around and get the bit of plastic over the lock ring. then put it all back together.

the only problem with all this is that it takes at least 5hours to get the engine out then 5 to put it all back as you have to remove the transfer box, manifold, turbo, intercooler, inlet manifold, all the boost pipes, battery tray, gb linkages, front sus struts, driveshafts, hubs, and finally the worst bit, the front subframe!!

once you do something as silly as that you never do it again lol.

HandyAndy
3rd February 2010, 08:46 PM
:D oops :D

tho i also must put my hands up.......

when i fitted a new clutch into my engine/box which was not in the chassis, box & engine cleaned & painted, clutch in , remembered to put the release arm in too, fitted engine & box into the chassis, all bolted up..........stands back to admire my work..........then noticed leaning against the wall was the sandwich plate that goes between the engine & bellhousing :eek:

you can imagine the air turned blue :o

out it all came & started again..... ho hum.

so its not just you David.

cheers
andy

dogwood
3rd February 2010, 09:02 PM
Glad I ain't the only plonker then :D

Mind you as Flyernle said, it was lucky I noticed when I did.
It was only the fact that I finished a bit early,
so thought I would tidy up a bit (Something I never do)
Clumped me head in the clutch fork (It was hanging up)
Thought...."Oh goodness me I've been a silly sosige"....:rolleyes: