PDA

View Full Version : Calling clever Cad users

gingea1pom
5th February 2010, 08:19 PM
Evening Men,

I was chatting to my father this evening about drawing the ally panels on auto cad (he is an architect) and printing them for me so I can lay the drawings on my nice new 8’x4’ ally sheets and get the best fit to a sheet.

What I am after is if one of you clever chaps has the drawings from page 91,96 and97 (fig 8.1, 8.13,8.14 and 8.15 to be precise) in an auto cad format, .dwg so my old man tells me.

Now my father is 73 and sort of retired so is running an old version of auto cad (97!) What he said is the file needs to be openable by auto cad97.

I hope that waffle all makes sense to someone. It would just save the old man copying the drawings from the book.

Cheers in advance.

My email is gingeatwell@virginmedia.com

Blade
7th February 2010, 10:38 PM
Hi
You have Email :D

gingea1pom
7th February 2010, 11:06 PM
Dave,

Thanks for that.

I can’t open them as I don’t have Autocad, I am forwarding them all (others have sent some) to my old man, I am going over to his on Tuesday and we will print them out, any that are missing we will draw then.

I find it amazing watching him draw things on the cad his hands wiz around the keyboard using all the short cut and he has things drawn in minutes.

Once I have them all I will stick them together in one file and get it on the web somehow.

Hoybi
9th February 2010, 06:39 AM
You can use a drawing to cut your side panels. But check on the chassis before the second bend is done. The hight depends on the way you fixed the floor panel to the chassis. Rivets ? A couple of mm too large and it will bulge, too small and it will not fit.

Eddy

gingea1pom
9th February 2010, 07:21 PM
We I got all the ally panels (two sides, seat back, transmission tunnel sides and two top bits) drawn up at my dad’s today and printed out.

When he emails it to me maybe someone more computer literate can host them so we can make a link on here.

I am going to cut them out and trial fit the paper panels to the chassis on Thursday. Should be worth a picture.

Cheers Ginge

gingea1pom
9th February 2010, 08:48 PM
I have made a start on the paper panels.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee46/gingea1pom/Roadster%20build/77Paperpanels.jpg

I think cutting them out of paper will take longer than cutting them out of aluminium, but it is easier modifying the paper than ally, easier adding on paper than ally as well.

Got to put the kids down, I mean take the kids to bed.

alga
9th February 2010, 09:44 PM
Cool! Do you plan to rivnut one of the pannels to allow access?

gingea1pom
9th February 2010, 09:54 PM
Yes the top long one with the openings for hand break and gear leaver.

AshG
9th February 2010, 10:39 PM
you need to rivnut the top one and one of the side ones or you wont be able to get the prop in and out without moving the engine forward or taking the diff out.

trust me been there done it got the t shirt :D

also when i did my side panels i just copied the drawings from the book on to the ali sheet then cut it out. they fitted perfectly. the only holes i had to make bigger than the book drawing were the upper wishbone holes closest to the back of the car (just so i could get the plastic nut covers on) and i had to widen out the steering rack holes so the rack gaiters didn't catch.

think that was it.

considering Chris just drew the side panels on the pc and never actually made them to the drawing for the book car i was pretty impressed that they fitted first go. (yes he told me this after i had cut the panels out lol)