PDA

View Full Version : Front Mushroom inserts

correl
6th February 2010, 11:27 PM
Hi i have been on the internet looking at these and everywhere says that they are all to book specifications. Thats all good but i can't find them in the book. What are the sizes on the front mushrooms??

I need to know as i dont know if i am going to need custom ones as my donor car isn't a sierra

AshG
7th February 2010, 12:12 AM
depends what the donor car is.

correl
7th February 2010, 12:20 AM
so if there is no set size how can web sites have them listed, it doesnt ask for any sizes or anything. i will be measuring the size i would need tomorrow and might email a couple of the sites to see if theres match what i need.

This kit car malarkie is very confusing at times.

AshG
7th February 2010, 12:51 AM
there are some drawings floating about somewhere. i think bonzo has them. either way those are the dimensions most are made to.

twinturbo
7th February 2010, 06:55 AM
so if there is no set size how can web sites have them listed, it doesnt ask for any sizes or anything. i will be measuring the size i would need tomorrow and might email a couple of the sites to see if theres match what i need.

This kit car malarkie is very confusing at times.

The set size is to match the sierra 2WD uprights. IIRC the book says that it's more effective to get them from MK than make them yourself. So it does not list the spec.

TT

twinturbo
7th February 2010, 06:57 AM
If your not using sierra uprights, your going to have to do a lot of measuring to work out if the geometry of the donor and make sure it's going to fit with the stock wishbone location. And if not your going to have to move the wishboes.

Is that worth the hassle and cost? You can pick up sierra uprights cheap.

TT

Talonmotorsport
7th February 2010, 08:30 AM
I see in another post that you are building 4x4 kit-project it might be an idea if you tell us if it's a 4x4 roadster and what the donner is as well. I may be able to help you with a solution to your mushrooms,suspension and donner problems. Post some pics of the donner parts with a few basic measurements.

squbti
7th February 2010, 08:51 AM
maybe this can help.
cheers

Bonzo
7th February 2010, 10:55 AM
maybe this can help.
cheers

Hi correl

That is the PDF of the drawing that I had made up ....... Thanks for posting that suibti, saved me from rooting about on my hard drive :cool: :)

If you are not going to be using the Sierra hub, I am afraid you'll be needing to find out your chosen hubs geometry, then compare it to the Sierra one.
From that, you should be able to work out what alterations will be needed to mantain good all round geometry ;)

correl
7th February 2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks am planning on measuing the old damper today. The Donor car is a limited edition rare 4x4 mondeo 95. 2.0L zetec. The cars body is fit for the scrap yard but the runnning gear is still as tight as new. As its a ford the damper may be the same size and the mondeo is the replacement to the sierra.

Talonmotorsport
7th February 2010, 11:54 AM
Did you talk to me about doing a 4x4 roadster using the mt75x box a few weeks ago on ebay?

twinturbo
7th February 2010, 12:39 PM
I can't see the Mondeo 4x4 Being any use at all in a roadster. the engine is transverese.

TT

twinturbo
7th February 2010, 12:41 PM
Total non starter of an idea in my opinion.

TT

Simon_K
10th February 2010, 12:08 AM
Correl, going this route, you are going to have to tweak an awful lot of the known measurements and dimensions.

I would get a stick of chalk and mark out the lower chassis rails and front wishbone location on a flat surface and then roughly mark out your engine and gearbox combination. Then have a good long look at what needs changing.

If I recall, in another thread you intend to widen the chassis to make everything fit. In which case you may think you can simply chop the centre out of the frame and make it wider (obviously BEFORE cutting any metal!)

That MAY be the case, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, your Mondeo front uprights may have a completely different set of angles to the Sierra ones that the chassis rail upper and lower off-set is designed for with the standard wishbones!

Prior to the Sierra, the Ford Cortina uprights were popular fitment and can still be found on some kits today. The two are NOT interchangeable. To use a Sierra wishbone in and chassis designed for Cortina uprights, you need to lengthen the lower wishbone, which then upsets the wishbone ratios. At a guess the “Roll Centre” would be messed up too!

A quick “Google” and I discovered that Mondeo’s are now making their way into Hot Rod racing, try speaking to “UsherEngineering” reference the Mondeo front upright dimensions.

I have “Googled” build sites for the past year picking up ideas. The popular way to test ideas like yours is to use wood to mock up frames and suspension arms up. I am sure it will save you a lot of heart ache by doing this.

Your current running gear, which I agree is not suitable for the “Roadster” project, could be off loaded to the hot hatch brigade who may wish to cram it into a Fiesta!

Take a look at where your engine will end up being in relation to where the front drive shafts need to be.

correl
11th February 2010, 08:24 AM
ok the mondeo strut is 51mm wide so bigger than the sierra buy quite alot!! the actual length is 70mm too!!

deezee
11th February 2010, 09:02 AM
Have you considered asking the guys on locostbuilders.co.uk? There are builders there doing some pretty adventurous stuff. Like I said in your other thread, I'm not sure how much help Haynes Roadster builders are going to be when your chassis, wishbones, running gear and bodywork is different.