PDA

View Full Version : Inlet Manifold

deezee
10th February 2010, 12:19 PM
I was working out how to make my inlet manifold and the general consensus would be to follow the angle of the inlet ports, then pop an angle in so the carbs sit with the float level. With an ideal total length from end of trumpet to intake valve being around 300mm. However once I allow for the pipercross airfilter (including the slimmer ones) it goes beyond my bonnet line.

I'd rather not have to cut a hole in my bonnet, next to the engine bonnet bulge, 'cos its going to look exceptionally ugly. Is there an easy / affordable way of lowering the carb position without severely affecting performance? I had a look at a recent Zetec picture posted, but copying this would be a PITA.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4346079064_bf789a975f_o.jpg

GraemeWebb
10th February 2010, 01:46 PM
I seem to remember that some carbs (Weber springs to mind) need a 5deg angle from horizontal is needed. I guess on bike carbs it may not be so important as bike go through some crazy angles an still run fine. I am considering bike carbs for my beemer engine. Will measure the angle on the bike while bike is upright. Cant go wrong then. Famous last words!!

AshG
10th February 2010, 01:51 PM
i had the same issue and decided to go bike carbs because i didnt want the weber sticking out half on the bulge and half on the bonnet.

deezee
10th February 2010, 02:44 PM
Forgot to mention I'm using Bike Carbs! I'll dig out a CAD sketch when I get back to my PC at home.