PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar Bolts

Tatey
10th February 2010, 03:57 PM
Could anyone tell me how long the 8 bolts need to be for fixing the roll bar into place? I know they are M8 bolts, also what pitch of thread has everyone used?

Also, could someone give me a quick run down on what type of nuts/bolts to use?

I know that they bolts need to be at least 8.8 grade, can you get high tensile nuts?

Also for the bolts to be welded onto the seatbelt mountings and roll bar support, im guessing I will want zinc plates bolts as you can't weld stainless without changing the wire when using a mig?

What nuts need to be nylocs? Im guessing the roll bar and seatbelt mounting nuts can't be nylocs as the stuff will just melt when you come to weld it?

Finally does everyone just buy their nuts/bolts and washers from ebay? Does anyone recommend any suppliers?

Cheers
Tatey

HandyAndy
10th February 2010, 05:04 PM
we,re not quite there yet :o

but we,re trying to source ALL nuts n bolts & will be offering them as a "pack" for the Roadster builder......

eg, suspension bolts/nuts / roll bar mounting bolts/nuts / shock bolts/nuts / diff mount bolt/nuts / rear upright bolts/nuts etc

what we,re trying to supply is a pack that contains practically every bolt/nut that is needed , other than the odds n sods that we all use dependant on the donor parts used (general stuff :D )

like already mentioned, we,ve not got the "pack" fully sourced yet but its one of the items we intend putting on the stores page of the Saturn site.

cheers
andy

AshG
10th February 2010, 06:05 PM
screwfix sell 90% of all the high tensile nuts and bolts you will need for the build.

i used nylocs on evrything other than the nuts that had to be welded or got hot.

when thinking should you use a nyloc or not think like this. "if this comes undone will it fall apart and kill me?"

AshG
10th February 2010, 06:43 PM
all the screwfix high tensile bolts and nuts are 8.8. i costed up between the local bolt place and screwfix come up half the price even when buying everything in quantities of 100 or 50.

i think the local place wanted the same money for 10 m8 bolts as what screwfix charged for 100. im all for supporting local suppliers but im not going to pay well over the odds. there are some things that you will need to get from the local places as screwfix only hold common metric sizes.

also dont use screwfix threaded bar for anything structural e.g suspension and diff as its not high tensile.

tigmatt
10th February 2010, 11:56 PM
I use this place for all my nuts, bolts ect

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/

Enoch
11th February 2010, 08:06 AM
Try www.clarik.co.uk. They stock all sorts of stuff and are very reasonable, especially on their bulk lots. They always combine postage when they can as well and delivery very quickly. Well worth a look.

PeteH
11th February 2010, 06:11 PM
Is it be possible/advantageous to use M10 bolts?
The holes in my CP4/5 plates are 11mm in diameter and the larger bolts would provide added strength for the roll bar.

PeteH
11th February 2010, 06:13 PM
Correction - CP3 and CP4 plates:rolleyes:

Tatey
11th February 2010, 06:21 PM
I'll be using M10 bolts for my roll bar now, just for the added strength and the fact i got them for free :D.

HandyAndy
11th February 2010, 06:31 PM
Is it be possible/advantageous to use M10 bolts?
The holes in my CP4/5 plates are 11mm in diameter and the larger bolts would provide added strength for the roll bar.

no reason why not, as long as the bolts show the correct strength code stamped onto the head.

cheers
andy

Tatey
11th February 2010, 06:54 PM
Could anyone tell me what BZP stands for in terms of nuts and bolts? Screwfix has listed theirs as BZP. I'm trying to find some weldable nuts.

Edit: Think i've found it, bright zinc plate.

flyerncle
11th February 2010, 06:56 PM
Bright Zinc Plated

Edit: Dont know why I bother.

Edit 2:what nuts are you welding and why,plain steel ones will do.

Tatey
11th February 2010, 07:17 PM
I'll be welding the ones for the roll bar mount and the seatbelt anchors, it says to do it in the book, and i'm guessing its because it would be a right bitch taking the roll bar off and having to get a socket in there when the shock and all of the bodywork is in place.

You bother because your a kind fellow and it is much appreciated :D :p

Another question, when nuts are referred to as A2 or A4, is this the grade of stainless steel used?

Finally what is the difference between type p and type t nuts?

flyerncle
11th February 2010, 08:43 PM
Seat belt anchors yes,I personally would locknut,washer and bolt the roll bar.
If you misplace the nuts when welding it will be a pain to rectify later.
No thanks needed Simon we have loads to spare.

Stainless is brittle and not easy to weld to steel.

TSM Locost
11th February 2010, 09:07 PM
Easy to find stainless bolts usually A2-70 7.0 harder to find A4- 80 8.0 neither rearly strong enough for stress points. Roll bars i would use somthing about 12.0

mopple
12th February 2010, 08:23 AM
AFAIK A2 means usual stainless steel for fasteners (AISI 304 for fabrication steel) and A4 (AISI 316 for fabrication steel) acid proof stainless.

Madis

GraemeWebb
12th February 2010, 08:50 AM
Whats wrong with welding the roll bar in place? It appears that that roll bar stays are welded to te rear frame. Is that correct?

When welding carbon steel to s/s the joint will be prone to rust. Making the s/s pointless.

Tatey
12th February 2010, 12:47 PM
I havent got my book with me at the moment, I know that the uprights are welded to the roll bar, but I dont think they are welded to the rear section. Correct me if im wrong though :p.