PDA

View Full Version : frist drive

frankie boy
11th February 2010, 10:52 PM
HI All
Was just thinking about when I first got to drive my car and the first time to drive a seven style car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKhqehjbi94 How many people building a car have driven a seven style car? And did this make you wont to build one?

AshG
11th February 2010, 10:57 PM
i had only ever been a passenger. the first time I drove one was mine round the show ground at Exeter.

alga
12th February 2010, 07:45 AM
Never. I knew I wanted to build a Seven since I read a short article about Caterham in Financial Times back when I was a student. When I found Rom Champion's book that wish has become achievable.

twinturbo
12th February 2010, 09:06 AM
I think I saw a Robin Hood in a kit car mag back in about 1990. That got me hooked on the idea of building one.... 20 Years on , a failed attempt at a Locost 5 years ago and am now starting the Hood...

I plan to get the running chassis going by the end of the summer...

TT

GraemeWebb
12th February 2010, 09:26 AM
Never driven a 7 but was a passenger in a proper Lotus 7 way back in the mid 70's and then always wanted one. Had a ride in big Andy's car last month and none of the magic of these cars has gone. Still smiling Andy!!

spud69
12th February 2010, 09:36 AM
Prior to my build i had always loved the 7 style car, i bought a Mazda Rx-8 for one reason because the front wheel arches had a similar design to the 7 open front wheels, but had never had a chance to go out in one.

Also never thought i could because i wouldn't fit in, so bought the the Haynes book and decided to go for it due to the extra size. Couldn't believe how well they drive, every time you go out it just puts a fresh smile on your face guaranteed. Looking forward to driving the single seater, gonna be a different experience altogether.....:D

Enoch
12th February 2010, 10:31 AM
I had never even thought of them until one year I won an award from my company, the treat was a day out at Goodwood circuit. Part of the day was a few laps in a single set open wheel racer, most enjoyable. I decided then it just had to be done. The cars were not fast but the enjoyment was immense. I built the Robin Hood a few months later, sold it and missed it ever since. Can't wait to get the Haynes on the road now.....

Peter-C
12th February 2010, 02:22 PM
I had a series IV 7 in the 80's and 90's. Not the most popular of 7's but boy did it handle. 1600 crossflow, A2 cam, twin Dellortos. Up to 3000 rpm, your granny could drive it, after that heaven. Andy took me for a spin in the Saturn car before Xmas and that was even better. Can't wait to get mine on the road.

Peter

:D

flyerncle
12th February 2010, 09:01 PM
Friend of mine had an original Lotus Seven bought from the factory and has a picture signed by Colin Chapman and Jim Clark wishing him good luck.

He is really peeved at me building my own but he has the money to go and buy one.