PDA

View Full Version : bottom bone

AnguS
14th February 2010, 10:31 AM
possibly a silly question

but why is there a hole between the balljoint mounting point and the shock mounting point ?
surely if the shock mounting point was closer to the hub, then the loading on the bone would be less ? (as long as the shock does not foul the hub)

thoughts?

Bonzo
14th February 2010, 11:07 AM
Although no expert on suspension geometry, I guess the shock is located where it is .... Because that's where it needs to be !!!

Any further out, you may find that it will have the opposite effect to what you are thinking .... Placing extra load on the wishbone mounting points ? & too acute an angle to function properly ?

I guess the hole is there as a lightning hole / stress relief & to allow drainge of nasty things that may want to come and live on the wishbone plate :)

That's the best that my brain can come up with on a Sunday morning :) :)

AndyLockwood
14th February 2010, 11:11 AM
Id agree with that the bottom plate from the angle it generally sits at would be a natural reaservoir for water /rain the hole allows drainage.

cheers

Andy

AshG
14th February 2010, 01:15 PM
nope its none of those. The space between the ball joint and suspension beacket is for the wingstay as it rorates in that area. Chris put the hole in the wishbone so you can strap the car down on the trailer