PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Brackets

flyerncle
14th February 2010, 12:10 PM
Hello All

Has anyone got a picture of the front brackets mounted on the front of the chassis.
I am fitting mine and they do not look anywhere near as the rear bracket does not sit on the two rails and I am thinking there is a problem with the two legs of FF not being square with the rest of the chassis.

Cheers.

HandyAndy
14th February 2010, 12:20 PM
not totally sure of how you mean, :confused:

have you remembered that you will need to add a 3mm spacer behind the suspension brackets that are on FF2 & FF3 ?

also as you mention the rear bracket...... do you mean the lower rear front bracket? the one that sits on top of CP24 ?

i,ll have a dig thru my photo,s & see if i can find a pic for you .

cheers
andy:)

Tatey
14th February 2010, 12:23 PM
Here is a picture from DaddyA's build pics:

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/tashlotty/DSCN3130.jpg

Hopefully this will be of some use to you.

Bonzo
14th February 2010, 12:39 PM
Here's one from the side Paul

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj266/Bonzoronnie/RedChassis.jpg

I hope it helps mate & and yes ....... That chassis is still bright Red .... Not for much longer though ;) :D :D

flyerncle
14th February 2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Gents,I did not add a spacer and that will probably fix it. I measured the placement of the front lower bracket,leveled it and then ran a bar through it for the rear lower bracket and set the distance,it sits on the outside frame leg instead of both at once. I thought it may be that the front frame uprights are not true to the rest of the rails.
Thanks for the input and if needs must I will slot the holes to get it to line up.

Why the change of colour Ronnie, It looks fine.

Cheers Guys.

mr-p
14th February 2010, 02:25 PM
Not sure slotting the mounts is the best idea??

Surley if all the mounts are supported by threaded bar in the jig & the measurements are all bang on then if the front frame is slightly out it will not matter & the brackets can be packed to suit.

Bonzo
14th February 2010, 03:02 PM
Why the change of colour Ronnie, It looks fine.

I guess it does look kinda cool in Red, subject to personal taste of course :)

With my choosen body colour, the chassis ( What you will eventually see of it ) Will be too in your face.

Going to abrade it lightly & give it a more traditional Black finish .... Perhaps making some good use of 2K Epoxy based chassis paint ;)

That Red Hamerite is just so brittle, that said it has served it's purpose of keeping the dreadded rust away :)

GraemeWebb
14th February 2010, 03:06 PM
Not sure slotting the mounts is the best idea??

Surley if all the mounts are supported by threaded bar in the jig & the measurements are all bang on then if the front frame is slightly out it will not matter & the brackets can be packed to suit.

I would never slot the pickup holes. If your jig for the pick up points is correct then use packing suit. It is not that important if the chassis is out slightly but the suspension pick up points must be as accurate as possible.

Slotting the holes allows for the movement of the wishbones therebye altetering cambers, toe etc.

flyerncle
14th February 2010, 06:59 PM
Ronnie,it's what is pleasing to you that matters and I like the red but it depends what you put with it for body colour and black seems to be the in colour for the chassis.

Graeme and Mr P,I should have explained more. I did not have a jig just measured the front lower bracket dimensions and placed it on the front frame and put the studding through and measured the distance from the front one.
As for slotting the bracket I would only do the hole nearest the rear bracket to bring the lower bone into line with the rear bracket and therefore hopefully not upset the geometery but be assured it will be corrected before being welded.

Once again all input gratefully recieved and hope this helps others.
Cheers.