PDA

View Full Version : zetec rwd component list

gundog
14th February 2010, 07:30 PM
what ho chaps
as in the title is there a difinative list of parts needed to connect a zetec to type 9 or mt75 gearboxes.
if its already out there can someone point me in the right direction.
ta

andy:)

Tatey
14th February 2010, 07:35 PM
A zetec will bolt straight onto a type 9 i think. Someone should be along to confirm that shortly.

gundog
14th February 2010, 07:41 PM
hello tatey
what i would like is a list of all the parts needed to do the conversion,ie what clutch plate ,bearings and soforth.i think this list would be very useful to many roadster builders as quite a few have mentioned the zetec in previous threads.
ta

andy

Luke2842
14th February 2010, 07:53 PM
Picked this up a while ago from the forum, cant remember where. It lists quite a few part numbers so might be of some use.

Luke

gundog
14th February 2010, 08:05 PM
well done that man.:)

Big Vern
14th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Be careful with the part numbers on that list. I've seen that repeated several times before on several websites but if that info comes from where I think it does (a Guy, about 10 years ago, converting his Reliant SS1 to turbo zetec with an MT75 box!) then they guy never fitted a type 9 to a zetec he just looked at the parts catalogues and decided they would fit and some of those parts dont! and several people have found out to their cost including me......
Sierra clutch doesn't fit zetec flywheel.
When tried the CHT133 release bearing it didnt fit on the type 9 first motion shaft cover. DOH!!!
What I did:
Machined 1.8 zetec flywheel (the one with the bevelled edge) to take Sierra clutch cover. (105 speed can supply a pre-machined one).
You can now use all Sierra parts without problems.
You'll need the CVH engined Sierra starter motor as the ring gear on the Zetec flywheel is in a different place to the Pinto one.
As for asking Westfield for the modified parts - you'll get told where to go pretty sharpish...
HTH BV.

les g
14th February 2010, 11:54 PM
search for a post on here by coozer
he,s done it and his car is up and running
he left a list of parts he used
he also posts on the locostbuilders website
cheers les g

Luke2842
15th February 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that Vern, i wouldn't have known. It was just something that i'd picked up from ther forum a while back. So the MT75 parts should be roughly right but its probably best to research it further just to make sure.

Thanks

alga
16th February 2010, 01:13 AM
Apparently 1.8 Mondeo clutch and the CCT133/CCT132 release bearing works for people:
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1700

Mind you, CCT132 is the Pinto Sierra release bearing!

I've read somewhere that the FWD fork and clutch spring are hinged differently, so using FWD clutch results in about twice shorter clutch pedal travel. This seems to be the main argument in favour of drilling the Zetec 1.8 flywheel for the Pinto clutch.

Big Vern
16th February 2010, 11:54 AM
I'm going on what I've had experience of rather than many who post on various websites what they've read on other websites.
In order not to waste money on Duff information it's neccesary to confirm what people tell you is what they did not what they heard....

When I ordered a CCT133 what I got was a Capri 1.6 release brg and meant for gearbox with 7/8" x 20 first motion shaft and the smaller first motion cover sleeve, so it didn't fit the type 9. Lengthwise it would have done the job though.
When I helped Ryan do this, http://rvann7.wordpress.com/ we machined a 1.8 zetec flywheel to take the Sierra clutch and all problems were solved and no special parts other than the flywheel. I'd done this before and new it worked. I believe Dave college at RetroFord does the same and I'm pretty sure you can get redrilled flywheels from 105speed as well.

The FWD clutch is 'thinner' and the clutch fork is shorter on what Ford call a 'low lift' system to reduce the bellhousing depth for FWD cars as they were tight on space between the wheels.

I can't say about what MT75 bits work as I've never done Zetec to MT75.
You could try Westfield forums but you must make sure the info comes from someone who's actually done it! or you could end up speending a lot of money.

HTH BV.

bertie_bas205
18th March 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm going on what I've had experience of rather than many who post on various websites what they've read on other websites.
In order not to waste money on Duff information it's neccesary to confirm what people tell you is what they did not what they heard....

When I ordered a CCT133 what I got was a Capri 1.6 release brg and meant for gearbox with 7/8" x 20 first motion shaft and the smaller first motion cover sleeve, so it didn't fit the type 9. Lengthwise it would have done the job though.
When I helped Ryan do this, http://rvann7.wordpress.com/ we machined a 1.8 zetec flywheel to take the Sierra clutch and all problems were solved and no special parts other than the flywheel. I'd done this before and new it worked. I believe Dave college at RetroFord does the same and I'm pretty sure you can get redrilled flywheels from 105speed as well.

The FWD clutch is 'thinner' and the clutch fork is shorter on what Ford call a 'low lift' system to reduce the bellhousing depth for FWD cars as they were tight on space between the wheels.

I can't say about what MT75 bits work as I've never done Zetec to MT75.
You could try Westfield forums but you must make sure the info comes from someone who's actually done it! or you could end up speending a lot of money.

HTH BV.

Big Vern.....

Sorry to trail this post from the bobwebs but with the 1800 flywheel, sierra clutch etc... What starter did you use??

Bertie.

Coozer
19th March 2011, 12:04 PM
Starter on mine with that setup is off a 2L DOHC.

spud69
19th March 2011, 01:09 PM
The 1.8 cvh starter works fine to of which i have a spare one if you would like it, £15 for postage......;)

Andrew

martin62
19th March 2011, 10:35 PM
Hi Andy if nobody wants the starter I will take it as I am finding hard one like Hens Teeth.Also could you show me how you modified the ST170 exhaust manifold,the down pipe that turns 90 degrees to the rear.Thanks Aidan

spud69
22nd March 2011, 10:14 PM
It's got your name on it Aiden, also sent you over some pics and notes.

Andrew

martin62
22nd March 2011, 10:33 PM
Hi Andrew Thanks for the pics will have a go on sat.Aidan