PDA

View Full Version : VW engine

DennyB
15th February 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi All, I am in the planning stage of building a locost and have been offered a tuned Golf GTi 8v engine with all bits (loom etc). What I would like to know has anyone else fitted one of these before and if so what g/box was used, any issues? Also does anyone have any dimensions / weight of this engine ?

twinturbo
15th February 2010, 05:35 PM
Sadly, RWD boxes for VW cars are virtualy non existant.

You may be able to use the Porker 924 Torque Tube and transaxle set up.

TT

twinturbo
15th February 2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=121089.0

This would sugest that the Porsche belhousing is to the to the Audi 5Cylinder and not the VW4 Cylinder pattern.

I can't think of a readily available Transmission.

TT

Land Locked
16th February 2010, 07:02 AM
Gilo engineering here in sarf efrika make custom adapter plates, bell housing and complete "conversion" kits. They are however NOT cheap.

If the old brain serves they do a VW to T50 bell housing kit.

I'll try n find a linky.

promised linky (http://www.giloeng.com/)

Seems however that my old brain is failing or they've taken it off the list. The upside, they will do one off custom jobs too.

DennyB
16th February 2010, 11:41 AM
Hi All, looks like it is back to the ford option as with this being my first build I don't want to make it too complicated or costly.
Thanks for you advice.

Big Vern
16th February 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Denny,
It all depends on what you term as complicated. As I like a challenge and am terminally unable to do anything the easy way I'm grafting a Pinto onto an MX-5 gearbox!
You could try looking up websites that deal in adapters for formula race cars as the golf engine got used a lot in things like F3 a few years ago. But probably cheapest and simplist is to go with a ford engine.

HTH BV.

twinturbo
16th February 2010, 02:21 PM
There's no advantage in using the VW engine, there are better units out there with RWD applications.

Don;t try to use the engine just because you have it.

TT

les g
16th February 2010, 06:10 PM
Jon from 3ge
can put you in touch with a firm that supplies
adapter kits for a the later VAG engines
i dont know if the early golf motors have the same bell housing arrangement
but the guy would certainly fit you one up
after all he does mt75 to evo motors etc
he used to post on here but i have not seen him lately
cheers les g

flyerncle
16th February 2010, 06:14 PM
VAG 20 v engine goes on a golf box and Geert from Alfa x does the adapter plate to fit a type 9.

les g
16th February 2010, 10:49 PM
there you go
somebody with a better memory than me was along shortly.....
cheers les g