PDA

View Full Version : New member

eSteve
16th February 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi,

New member here! I think it's time to introduce myself, after having been lurking on this forum for probably upward of a year now, I am about to actually start my build.

Some background - I had been contemplating a project car for some years and had decided on a Triumph Stag or TR5 restoration but the work that would be required on the body work left me decidedly cold. I am not keen on body work, cutting out rust, patching and the necessary sanding and painting etc, however the electrical and mechanical side of things that I know more about and enjoy. Although a software engineer now, I started my career as a mechanical engineer and have had much practical experience with cars, bikes (restoration) and engines.

However, somewhere on a surf I must have stumbled on someone’s Haynes Roadster or LoCost build diary and I was drawn in. A car project that involved no (very little) work with bent bits of rusted steel. So I bought the two books (Champion and Gibbs) and read them cover to cover several times. Since then I have been researching and planning my build.

I have finally secured a donor, (a 1.6 carbed Pinto), my garage is clear of the normal rubbish that accumulates in there and I have my wood to build my build table. Just the steel to order and I'm underway.

Ideally I would have sourced a 2l Pinto as the donor but these seem very scarce. The long term plan when the car is IVA'd would be to buy a 2l Pinto and spend the winter rebuilding it and swapping out the 1.6 for it, but that would be a long way off.

Reading previous posts, this is a friendly and good natured forum and hope you will bear up to my newbie questions.

I seemed to have rambled on for a bit so I guess that’s about it for now.

eSteve

jasongray5
16th February 2010, 01:01 PM
G'day mate!
Hope you enjoy your build,
This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the lads on here are really top notch bunch of guys!

Jas

HandyAndy
16th February 2010, 01:05 PM
welcome to the forum Steve,
As Jas has said the forum is a friendly place with a wide forum member knowledge / info available, & at times some great banter. :D

enjoy your build , don,t forget to add your build to the thread "how many Roadsters being built" in the announcement section.

all the best
andy

Bonzo
16th February 2010, 01:46 PM
A very warm welome to the forum matey :cool:

I was in the same boat as you ..... In the midst of restoring a 1966 Triumph Vitesse convertable.
It dawned on me that I was physically unable to do the heavy stuff :o

Had the Ron Champion book for a few years, then out of the Blue I spotted Chris Gibbs book in Halfrauds & the rest is history. :)

Enjoy your build & keep us up to date with your progress :cool:

twinturbo
16th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Hello and welcome.

TT

spud69
16th February 2010, 05:12 PM
then out of the Blue I spotted Chris Gibbs book in Halfrauds & the rest is history. :)

I spotted mine in WHSmiths 1/2 price, the rest aswell is history.....;)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build.

Cheers....AndyH

Bonzo
16th February 2010, 07:03 PM
I spotted mine in WHSmiths 1/2 price, the rest aswell is history.....;)

Cheers....AndyH

You Jammy bugger .... I had to pay full whack for mine :)

Bet you been having lessons from Handyandy :D :D

Davey
16th February 2010, 07:09 PM
My son bought me my copy so no cost to me:D . go on Andy, beat that!

Welcome eSteve but be warned this place is full of nutters:D
D.

HandyAndy
16th February 2010, 07:14 PM
My son bought me my copy so no cost to me:D . go on Andy, beat that!

i can,t beat it, but my wife bought me the book as a birthday prezzie:p

again Steve, welcome to the mad house.....oops i mean the forum :D

cheers
andy

Enoch
16th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Welcome esteve! If you are looking for somewhere to build it I understand the Imax is going cheap and has plenty of space:D Should be nice and dry in there too.

eSteve
17th February 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome(s).

The IMax would be big enough for us all to build in as long as no one's afraid of the dark when there's a power cut!

les g
17th February 2010, 01:03 PM
i can,t beat it, but my wife bought me the book as a birthday prezzie:p

again Steve, welcome to the mad house.....oops i mean the forum :D

cheers
andy

poor show Andy
or did she manage to get it for 99p
lol
cheers les g
ps .esteve welcome to the forum if you need any parts
just give handy andy a shout

3GE Components
17th February 2010, 01:18 PM
You Jammy bugger .... I had to pay full whack for mine :)

Don't feel too bad Ronnie, even Chris has to pay for them! :D

Welcome to the forum, they're a good bunch on here with a wealth of information.

Kind regards

John