PDA

View Full Version : suspension brackets again !!!!!

semtexsteve
17th February 2010, 10:22 AM
hi guys i no this has come up over and over and over again but i cant find the threads at the mo can someone help . Do i need to pack out behind the upper front brackets that mount to U1 and U2 please help this is the first time i have had the whole day on my own to do the suspension mounts .

Tatey
17th February 2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah need to but a 3mm space behind them i think.

Bonzo
17th February 2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Steve

Probably best to fabricate the bracket alignment jigs to the book spec & let them be your guidance as to wether you need to pack the brackets out a little ;)

It all becomes much clearer once the jigs are in place :)

Yes, I had to pack the brackets out a little, about 3mm as many others have found ( Front frame ones ). ;)

mr-p
17th February 2010, 12:10 PM
Have been re-doing this last night & this morning.

I had to use 3mm on the front lowers & about 1.5-2mm on the rear uppers.

The jigs & lengths of threaded bar are pretty essential, then check & again & again before tacking.

Was doing it last night late thought I had measured a million times, tacked it all up. On removal of the jig it was pretty obvious that the lower rears were out by about 5mmleft to right:mad: .

All sorted this morning though:D

semtexsteve
17th February 2010, 12:51 PM
thanks for your help guys all tacked on and just started to fully weld them . i have just lerned a big lesson that i new already DO NOT GRAB HOLD OF THE BRACKET YOU HAVE JUST WELDED . I now have a u shape red burn on my right palm with a nice round hole in it . " IDIOT "

mark
17th February 2010, 12:56 PM
I put a hot soldering iron in the vice (safe place) a few weeks ago whilst it cooled off, my mate popped in to see me and leaned over it to get something off the bench...............the soldering iron burned through his jacket and burned his armpit :D :D :D

i was ill with laughter for about 10mins!

les g
17th February 2010, 01:13 PM
I put a hot soldering iron in the vice (safe place) a few weeks ago whilst it cooled off, my mate popped in to see me and leaned over it to get something off the bench...............the soldering iron burned through his jacket and burned his armpit :D :D :D

i was ill with laughter for about 10mins!

Brilliant things like that are funny when they happen to somebody else
cheers les g

flyerncle
17th February 2010, 05:52 PM
Other peoples misfortune is always funny :D

Davey
17th February 2010, 06:27 PM
Many years ago I was standing "fire watch" for a mate who was gas welding a plate on the underfloor of a 2CV lying on his back under the car. Well he finished the weld, turned off the torch, flipped his goggles off and relaxed to admire his handiwork. About three seconds later there was a blood curdling scream from under the car ! He had lowered his left hand which was still holding the welding filler rod of which the hot end had landed in his lap. It burned through his overalls, jeans and underpants and got him right on the old bobby's helmet :eek: :eek: ! He then jumped up and head butted the still hot fresh weld :o I couldn't move for laughing:D

D.

squbti
17th February 2010, 06:27 PM
hi guys, i was just reading this thread & had no idea that spacers should be used :confused: is there something wrong with the book measurements ?have i missed something ? i made the brackets per book(the new one).why do you need spacers?
iŽm just about to weld my brackets ,please let me know if there is something i need to know or do befor i weld them on.
thanks
samy

Bonzo
17th February 2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Sammy

I don't think there is any major problem with the suspension mounting brackets.

Some people have had to pack the brackets out a little ..... This seems to average about 3mm for most.

I can,t really comment accurately on other builds but on my own, here's what I found :

I took great care to make the chassis as close to the book spec as humanly possible.

When I made the front suspension bracket mounting jigs, the measurements were checked & double checked for accuracy.

The brackets were clamped in my jigs & put into place .... The rear most brackets were sitting nice & snug as they should .... The brackets on the front frame had a gap, aproximately 3mm on the front lower & slightly less on the front upper. :confused:

I studied the problem for a while and could possibly see where the missing mm's went.
Possibly during construction of the front frame .... The intersection points of the front frame sides in relation to the bottom section .... I believe if I had made the front frame correctly/differently, I would of had no gap at all ;)

I would love to do a drawing to explain but I am a complete moron when it comes to cad software :o :o

With a little luck, I have made some sense !!??

Bonzo
17th February 2010, 08:22 PM
Here is a very rough sketch of what I mean :o

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj266/Bonzoronnie/Frontframe.jpg

On the left is the intersection point of the front frame as I made it

On the right is the way I could have made the front frame.
The slightly different angles & increased width of the lower front frame section would have closed the gap that I had to pack out

I must state at this point .... This is only my own personal observation & will be the way I make my next front frame.

Perhaps I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but it would have been the ideal solution to my particular problem & provided a near perfect fit for my suspension brackets :)

When I said rough sketch .... I meant it :D

squbti
17th February 2010, 09:23 PM
thanks alot for clearing that up for me Ronnie, i realy apresiate it & the drawing did help alot . i think i saw this problem when i was making my front fram( for the third time):D & hopefully the corection i made which is simmular to what you did in the drawing will help & if i understand corectly the gap youŽre talking about would be on the inside so the bracket is touching the rail on the outside corner(in the front) & then there would be a small gap towards the back, i think :confused: .maybe iŽll take some photos & post them here to try to show what i mean.
thanks for all the help
samy

alga
18th February 2010, 09:12 AM
I actually cut my front frame while it was still tacked on and remade it on a jig with "brackets" mocked up.

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=53

In the end it did not help. Probably due to the height of brackets being 1-2 mm out of spec. My jig was just two pieces of MDF with carefully measured and drilled holes. Worked quite well:

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=138

martin62
21st February 2010, 08:53 PM
I actually cut my front frame while it was still tacked on and remade it on a jig with "brackets" mocked up.

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=53

In the end it did not help. Probably due to the height of brackets being 1-2 mm out of spec. My jig was just two pieces of MDF with carefully measured and drilled holes. Worked quite well:

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=138

Hi I have come to fitting the front brackets and was wondering is it ok that 6 of brackets have to packed out 3mm each. I have checked my measurements a 100 times and they seemed spot on. Just need reasurance before I tack them up

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/martin62runner/DSCF2990.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/martin62runner/DSCF2995.jpg

james3004
21st February 2010, 10:46 PM
Hi I have come to fitting the front brackets and was wondering is it ok that 6 of brackets have to packed out 3mm each. I have checked my measurements a 100 times and they seemed spot on. Just need reasurance before I tack them up

I can't see that there would be a problem with that as long as your jig is correct