PDA

View Full Version : MSA Rollbar

grassracer
19th February 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm planning to start a build in the next couple of weeks and want to use the car solely for hillclimbs/sprints etc. Does anyone know of a supplier of an MSA rollbar kit to suit the Roadster

Tatey
19th February 2010, 12:45 PM
I've just been reading the MSA's blue book on roll cages/roll bars as i'll be getting a MSA complient rollcage installed.

The roll bar which ash supplies is to MSA spec, I am currently selling my roll bar as it's not tall enough for me (im 6'6"), have a look in the general discussion part if you are interested.

The roll bar just needs to be made from 48mm OD CDS tube welded to a reinforcement plate atleast 3mm thick and of at least 120cm^2 in area (11cm x 11xm (which is what the book plates are)).

With rear supports that have an angle of at least 30 degrees, and are welded to a plate of at least 60cm^2. 1 diagonal reinforcement needs to be included (which can be between the rear supports), and the top of the roll bar needs to be at least 5cm above the top of the drivers helmet.

I think the rear supports and horiztonal cross member for seatbelt anchors also need to be made from 48mm OD CDS tube.

John.W
20th February 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't know if this is any good, i'ts on a racing cateram

http://www.therollcagepeople.com/picts/DSCN0530.JPG

Tatey
20th February 2010, 09:49 PM
I think the original roll bar were made of ERW which isn't to MSA standard. However the rollbar i purchased from him is defiantly CDS.

Talonmotorsport
21st February 2010, 10:32 AM
I've had various conversations with people that want to do track days,hill climbs and even enter the 750mc kitcar series. I've been looking in to making an intergrated roll cage and chassis,the basic idea is that you will sit in the cage and have the rest of the chassis welded to it.
There could be two variations of the chassis these being a cheaper road and trackday use made of 1 1/4 x 12g ERW - 32mm x 2.5 ERW and race use chassis using 1 3/4 x 12g CDS - 45mm x 2.5 CDS.
I know there will be people who say that they will pay more for safty and that every thing needs to be CDS, but then there are people who are on a budget and a cage made of ERW is better than nothing!