PDA

View Full Version : Riveting Fibreglass

deezee
21st February 2010, 09:10 PM
I'm going to start fixing some fibreglass into place. The scuttle needs to have its aluminium plate fixed to the back. I want to rivet it, but will the rivet crack the fibreglass? Are there special techniques, rivets or washers to avoid fibreglass cracking?

I also wanna rivnut the front, so I can lift the dash on and off. Will rivnuts be ok through the fibreglass?

mark
21st February 2010, 09:45 PM
I have been rivnuting and riveting fibreglass all day today with no problems at all

I have been using flange head rivets though to spread the load

james3004
21st February 2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe use a washer on the back of the fibreglass for the rivnut to pull upto, to spread the load so it doesn't crack it?

Not sure if it would work or not?

AshG
22nd February 2010, 12:42 AM
when i riveted my ali bulk head to the fg scuttle i put washers on the back of all the rivets. worked a treat.

ozzy1
22nd February 2010, 02:16 AM
Basically you have 3 choices,

1 large head rivets which will spread the load.
2 normal rivet with a washer on the back(as per Ash) this works well.
3 special rivets called peel rivets which peel down like a palm tree,this are very good but are best used in places you cant see them as they are quite ugly,(riveting the underside of fibreglass side panels to the floor is a good use)

here are some links on ebay uk so you can see the different kinds

1 large head 220557972287
2 normal rivet backing washer 170421788596
3 peel rivet 350318364076

deezee
22nd February 2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll go with the washers, as the expansion of the rivet is kept in check then. I won't need a large head, because the load on the front is taken up by the item I'm riveting onto the aluminium.

I'll try the local fasteners company on the trading estate in lunch time.