PDA

View Full Version : Donor Glass

Ryan
24th February 2010, 10:37 PM
Hi all. With a bit of luck and some fingers crossed my donor shell should be leaving me shortly.

I have just realised that the cars registration number is etched onto each piece of glass. What have other people done about this?

I dont want the scrappie/breakers to run it through the computer as scrapped.

Maybe this is the excuse I have been looking for to take to the windows with some kind of blunt object and get rid of some stress?

Cheers

Ryan

tkpm
24th February 2010, 11:28 PM
Go for it, you can't beat a bit of stress relief with a blunt instrument :D

MrFozzieBear
25th February 2010, 12:15 AM
I just took my Dremel to the glass and ground them off including sunroof and lights, it didn't take long and was proberly quicker than sweeping up broken glass off the floor over the next few days.

deezee
25th February 2010, 08:11 AM
I stripped my car with the use of a forklift. So when I rolled it over to strip the suspension, loads of windows smashed out. What didn't get smashed first time, got harpooned with the forks when I moved the shell around.

I never thought of the glass TBH! Although I did a DVLA check on the reg recently and it comes up as SORN.

Ryan
25th February 2010, 09:21 AM
Cheers guys.

I will have a go with a dremel and see how it goes. Dont fancy sweeping all those little bits of glass!

Bonzo
25th February 2010, 09:44 AM
I used a spot blaster ( Mini, hand held sand blaster )

Dremmel will do the job fine.

If you don't have either .... A flap disc in the grinder or honing stone in a hand drill will also do the job ;)

Don't forget to wear eye protection .... Just in case ;) :)

twinturbo
25th February 2010, 10:28 AM
It's up to you to tell the DVLA that the car has been scrapped not the salvage yard.

So unless you fill in the V5 and send it back as scrapped, it should be ok. All you are doing is getting rid of metal. Just remove the chassis plate and floor plate to keep with the documents.

TT

deezee
25th February 2010, 10:44 AM
Most scrappers register vehicles as scrap when they get it. They don't require a V5 or your permission. Written or otherwise!

Bonzo
25th February 2010, 11:46 AM
Just to clear up a point or two !!!

It is a legal requirement for a licenced vehicle breaker/disposal/recycler to notify DVLA that a vehicle has been scrapped ( If they are the ones breaking it ) .

My local disposal site will not take a vehicle without a V5 or failing that, photographic proof of ID & proof of address.
That said .... As they are also a general scrap metal merchant, they are able to take the remains of a **pre-scrapped vehicle** as general scrap .... In this case, it would be up to the owner ( Person that acctualy scrapped the vehicle ) to notify DVLA.

Remember .... Honesty is the best policy .... Tell the scrapyard what you are doing & the reason why & you shouldn't run into any problems.
If the yard is anal to deal with....Find another yard ;)

Right, i'll now duck for cover :eek: :D :D

AshG
25th February 2010, 11:56 AM
mine got weighed in as scrap metal not a car.

and as for the etching in the windows all i have to say about that is

SANDPAPER

Ryan
25th February 2010, 09:16 PM
A little rubbing with the sharp end of a file and it all worked out fine. Cheers for the tips guys!