PDA

View Full Version : new build (help guide)

layotn20
1st March 2010, 08:33 PM
as above new to all this, iv just bought a haynes roadster chassis complete with rear up rights, wishbone set fornt n back. i am a capable machanic but really worried about the iva test. obviously i can get it to rolling chassis stage pretty simple. im going to buy most things new from saturn sports car.

i intent to put a zx9r engine in, is this gonna cause me much problem for the iva. as iv read that you have to put the reverse in now is that true??? and iv read a few things about collapsable steering?? any information opriciated

flyerncle
1st March 2010, 08:46 PM
Welcome and this is the place for info and help,it would help if people knew you location as there may be other builders near you and yes you need reverse for IVA and the colapsable column is not a major hassle if you use the original and legthen it with tube.

Good Luck.

HandyAndy
1st March 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi, a warm welcome to the forum :)

Don,t worry about the IVA test, yes its tough but if you build within the boundries of the IVA manual then you shouldn,t have too many concerns, tho I,m sure you,ll receive as much help/info from the members of this forum to help you with your build. The IVA is there to ensure that we all build a safe car, which in the long run is good for everyone.

As for the reverse box, yes you do need a reverse when installing a bike engine, there are a few options available to achieve this, some expensive & some less so,
with the steering column, if you use a column from a donor such as the sierra as the book suggests then its more than likely that the column is of the collapsible type anyway,

Good luck with your build, & don,t forget..............its meant to be enjoyable, :)

cheers
andy

twinturbo
1st March 2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see some pictures soon :)

TT

layotn20
1st March 2010, 09:00 PM
sorry im in the west midlands worcestershire, and thanks guys for the warm welcoming.

twinturbo
1st March 2010, 09:05 PM
sorry im in the west midlands worcestershire

No Need to be sorry, they make some nice sauce down there... :D

TT

layotn20
1st March 2010, 09:11 PM
has anyone got any info/piks of this electric reverse mechanism. because i aint got a clue lol:)

spud69
1st March 2010, 09:12 PM
Warm welcome to the builders forum and site........Whatever you need you will find all your answers somewhere within the pages of the forum.

It's really nice to new builders weekly coming onto the forum

Enjoy your build......AndyH

HandyAndy
1st March 2010, 09:17 PM
has anyone got any info/piks of this electric reverse mechanism. because i aint got a clue lol:)

There,s a couple of cars being built with bike engines, in fact 1 of them goes for its IVA test next week, its Forum member Tilly, he,s not a million miles away from you either, i,m sure he,ll see this new thread & offer his info/help regarding the reverse situation when he logs on,

ps,,,, nice engine by the way :cool:

cheers
andy

Bonzo
1st March 2010, 09:24 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum :)

As others have said .... All the help & advice you'll ever need is to be foud here.

I am sure that someone will be allong shortly with some advice on the electric reverse.

If memory serves me right, in its most basic form it involves a starter motor & gear wheel on the diff prop flange.

Tilly819
2nd March 2010, 09:53 AM
hi there,

as regards reverse it actualy quite simple once you get your hear round the concept, my consits of a cut gear mounted on the diff input flange, and a starter moter mounted in the bottom the the transmision tunnel which engages and disengages on the bendix, the live to the motor is conected direct to the battry the frame is the earth just like normal then run the solinoid threw a normaly open on a rely to a fuse then the coil of the relay is operated with a perminant live from another fuse then a switched Ov intersepted from the nutral light with a simple button on the dash, there are some photos on the forum somewere already il see if i can find them for you, i notice you are not to far away you are more than welcome to pop over of you want to have a look.

tilly

layotn20
2nd March 2010, 02:30 PM
when i get to that stage, we will have to meet up. because for me its better to actualy look at 1 set up.

oh and good look with your iva :)