PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

DavidR
2nd March 2010, 09:36 PM
Hello everyone - first post (on anything, anywhere, ever !!)

Bought a Sierra at the weekend, not really ready for it yet , bt couldn't say no as only 4 miles away, done 95000 one owner since '94 with every tax disc and MOT.

Bit worried though, runs fine, but lots of oil on outside of engine and didn't realise I was getting electronic spark control, does this transplant ok ?

It's an '86 1.8 L estate

spud69
2nd March 2010, 10:12 PM
Welcome David,

Congrats on first post and build start - new builders are coming thick and fast now......:D

Engine will be a pinto on type 9 box, car was designed around this setup and so will be fine. If car runs sweet engine will be fine, likely a routine change of gaskets and seals and all should be fine.

All the Best......AndyH

twinturbo
2nd March 2010, 10:45 PM
I would be more suspect if the pinto was clean :D

make sure you offer any useable donor parts to the sierra boys ( or I can do this for you ).

Wel done on your first forum post ever. Another 20,000 and you will catch up on my combined total over the last 10 years:D

TT

AshG
2nd March 2010, 11:52 PM
i would agree with twinturbo. it would be more suspect if it wasn't mucky they are old engines with cork gaskets so if they they have never been changed then its a normal sight

here is a picture of mine before i cleaned it all up and replaced all the gaskets

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1020611.jpg

come out ok in the end though

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/ashgardiner/P1020937.jpg

welcome to the forum everyone here is very nice and helpful. at the top of each page there is a search button that will drag up the answers to most questions if not then just start a new thread and ask. you will soon get the hang of it.

make sure you check out the Book Amendments and Extra Guides Section as it will make life easier when starting to fabricate stuff. http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430

dogwood
3rd March 2010, 08:05 AM
Bienveneu David.

Good luck with your build.
Sounds like you're off to a flying start, with a donor already.
Don't forget to ask plenty of questions.
No matter how silly they seem to be.
There is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer.
Beleive me I've asked a few....:rolleyes:

You say it's your first post anywere. Well you found the right forum then
We are more like a big huggly family than the the normal forum you'll find.
We don't even need a Moderator to keep us inline..
We got Handyandy...:eek: :D

Ps. Where are you located?

DavidR
3rd March 2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks lads, bit more reassuring, will have a closer look in daylight at the weekend, it is a Pinto with a type 9

Engine looks geat Ash, there's hope for mine then.

Anyone any thoughts on whether I should keep the carb and and ESC II or should I bin them in favour of something else.

HandyAndy
3rd March 2010, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the forum David,

As others have said, its a great forum, very friendly bunch of like minded car builders (nutters) :D

You,ll soon be stripping your donor & wondering "do i need this bit, do i need that bit"? ask questions & you will get the correct helpful answers,

one thing you don,t need is any glass from the donor, :D

good luck with your build & remember to enjoy it, :cool:

as for me keeping everyone in line??????? after a few beers at stoneleigh last year..........us lot could only muster up a zig zag line :eek:

enjoy the forum & the experience of building your own car.

cheers
andy

dogwood
3rd March 2010, 08:19 AM
Anyone any thoughts on whether I should keep the carb and and ESC II or should I bin them in favour of something else.

That one's debatable.
I'd prefer to keep it standard with the carb and ESC.
Others like bike carbs and Megajolt.

But I am an old fuddyduddy....:D

AshG
3rd March 2010, 09:27 AM
it depends if you want an air filter sticking out of your bonnet or not.

well thats what it come down to for me. i fitted motorbike carbs with a megajolt electronic ignition controller, has turned out to be a really good little setup. the car runs much better than it did on the old webber carb

Bonzo
3rd March 2010, 09:47 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum DavidR :)

Personally, I would not worry too much about the dirty Pinto engine .... Good strong engines but didn't have the best of rocker cover gasket's.
That said, they usually stay dry untill the rocker cover gets a tad over tightend ;)

Your build budget will help you decide if you keep the standard engine set up or not.

If your budget is tight or you prefer to spend extra money in other areas .... Keep the engine as is.

If you feel that you need a performance boost from the engine ..... There's plenty of options to choose from .... at a cost !!

Which ever way you decide to go, all the help you need will be found here.

Enjoy your build :) :)

DavidR
26th March 2010, 08:34 PM
Took the sierra for steam clean today, ran great and no oil anywhere now, except for wher it should be (hopefully).

Tax runs out end of month so it's going on SORN the it gets the big stripdown