PDA

View Full Version : Identify Wires

geeman
6th March 2010, 01:40 PM
Hi, i have a 1.8 carb cvh, but have no idea about the fiord wiring, as i have no recollection when i took the sierra apart. I know these wires go to the lternator,battery and starter, but where and how? I hope to have the engine running an a few hours!!!:D

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4626/dsc8325l.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6676/dsc8326.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1343/dsc8327.jpg

geeman
6th March 2010, 01:40 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5523/dsc8329y.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9738/dsc8330.jpg

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 02:00 PM
1 - Goes to the alternator, they are keyed and ponly fit one way.
2 - Goes to the Battery + terminal

3 - Big terminal onto the free big termina on the starter, Black and red to the starter solenoid. ( 3rd I am unsure of, whats at the other end? )

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks, any idea about 4 and 5. Will hopefully have a video of it running up today or tomorrow:D

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 02:04 PM
4- Big red one to the battery +12.
4- Black one looks like an earth I think, where does it go?

5- Brown earth on battery, red +12 on battery. Black I think this is an earth and joins to the earth on the starter cable.??

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 02:07 PM
oh yeah, should have said, the red in 3 goes to the read in 4, and the black in 3 goes to the square one in 4, if it helps. ALso where do they go? i have never doen anything with ford engines beofre, so really have no idea as to what im doing:o

never mind, im too slow, youve already replied. THanks

DaddyA
6th March 2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Geeman hopefully i can help,

just been having the same problem with mine(should of took more photos).

3 - red goes to starter solenoid,
- black / red goes to starter solenoid,
- black negative lead put to one of the starter motor securing bolts.

4 - red to +12v
- black lead in background to to -12v
- other black lead attached to eng block (I used the lifting point bolt).

5 - put to +12v (supply hazards and fuses?).

Note - I'd add a couple of earth leads from you engine to chassis as well, just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps, I've now got a problem with my ignition solenoid - Think i was a bit heavy handed with the pliers!!!!!:eek:

geeman
6th March 2010, 02:46 PM
OK, its turning over now, now for the stupid question, how do i connect the ignition coils?? im confused, as i cant see what 2 thing to connect to each other. On the engine, what do i connect the coils to as i can find any connectors?

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 03:44 PM
What engine are you using, and what have you done with the engine loom?

TT

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 03:48 PM
From your pics, your using a 1.8 CVH, so you should have the loom with the ESC-Hybrid ignition module. On this you will find the coil negative plug.

The coil +12v plug is part of the front body loom and not the engine loom ( I haver no idea why they did this )

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 03:49 PM
What engine are you using, and what have you done with the engine loom?

TT
ive got a 1.8cvh. Ive got it to turn over, and was being an idiot earlier, as i wanst looking at the ignition coils in my last post. Ive now found the ignition coils, and the plug from the edis connects to it. I now seem to have the ignition coils sorted, however when i was trimming my loom a mont or 2 back, i cut off all the plugs to the steering column, including the ignition switch. I am now wondering what i am meant to connect the black/yellow wire to that is on the ignition switch. I know the blue/black one goes tot he starter solenoid, but i dont know about the yellow/balck one.

Ill be asking alot of probaly very obvious questions as i dont know much about wiring this engine. Thanks

Edit: just saw your other post. i have connected the plug fromt he front body loom to the +12v. Now to figure out what the yellow.black wire is meant to be? it goes to pin 10 of the edia and the engine managemnet relay according to the haynes diagram

DaddyA
6th March 2010, 03:54 PM
If you haven't got a manual, i've got an electronic version of the wiring i can send if you want??

geeman
6th March 2010, 03:55 PM
If you haven't got a manual, i've got an electronic version of the wiring i can send if you want??

I have that, its just im still no good with this wiring:o

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 03:56 PM
EDIS? Are you runing megajolt?

Black Yellow, Goes to the ignition relay and fuse 20, 21 , 22.. Maybe some more items but bascaly It's Ignition Live Feed.

TT

DaddyA
6th March 2010, 03:58 PM
you'll just have to do a bit at a time, be careful because the wires tend to change colour as they go along!!

geeman
6th March 2010, 03:58 PM
EDIS? Are you runing megajolt?

Black Yellow, Goes to the ignition relay and fuse 20, 21 , 22.. Maybe some more items but bascaly It's Ignition Live Feed.

TT

umm.. sorry again, didnt mean to say edis, meant to say hybrid ignition module. :o , imm really not doing to well here am i :o

geeman
6th March 2010, 04:02 PM
ok, for the time being, as i dont have an ignition swith, and am just trying to get the engine running, can i just connect the black/yellow to 12v and that to the relay and the hybrid ignition module, ?

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 04:06 PM
Do you have the engine loom with the three multiplugs ( 4, 6 , 8 pin ) Still intact.

It's 10 years since I have worked on a CVH but the wiring to the engine hookup is the same for all post 90 cars.

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 04:07 PM
Do you have the engine loom with the three multiplugs ( 4, 6 , 8 pin ) Still intact.

It's 10 years since I have worked on a CVH but the wiring to the engine hookup is the same for all post 90 cars.

TT

are those the 3 that join the main loom to the engine loom. I have attached the 4 and 6 pin ones, however, i cant find anywhere to attach the 8 pin one. Thanks for the help so far!!!! Also i just realised that relay that the starter solenoid wire is connected to is an auto trans relay? WHats this for considering i dont have auto trans?

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 04:22 PM
There's 2 different loom diagrams for the 1.8 CVH manual ( GR8!! )

Do you have Relay X1 or not?

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 04:24 PM
ive got the haynes diagram for 1990 on models. Also no relay xi for me?

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 04:25 PM
Also i just realised that relay that the starter solenoid wire is connected to is an auto trans relay? WHats this for considering i dont have auto trans?

That's because ford had the GENIUS idea that fitting the relay and linking it to the imobaliser would fool the world and prevent even the most inteligent of thives working out that simply removing the relay and shorting the two terminals would get past the Imobaliser
:D

TT

twinturbo
6th March 2010, 04:26 PM
Ok... Got to make the kids tea but if you have not progressed by later on then will provide a bit more info...

TT

geeman
6th March 2010, 04:29 PM
That's because ford had the GENIUS idea that fitting the relay and linking it to the imobaliser would fool the world and prevent even the most inteligent of thives working out that simply removing the relay and shorting the two terminals would get past the Imobaliser
:D

TT

that makes sense, ok ill short those out and give it a go. well, ill tyr to put the ignition bits of the loom back to how they origninally were. Hopefully it'll work.:o

geeman
8th March 2010, 05:18 PM
ok, well i just got a spark plug out, and tried cranking, i dont seem to be getting any sparks, i did ground the plug before you ask. any ideas what could be the problem?

twinturbo
8th March 2010, 06:01 PM
Put the king lead dizzy end close to the battery eart and then tap a wire from earth agains the coil -ve and see if it induces a spark.

Also check for power ad the ESC unit.

TT

geeman
8th March 2010, 06:43 PM
before i do that i had one question. the output of the hybrid ignition module that goes to the ignition coil - is at 12v when the ignition is set to on(ii). I wondered when the car is off is the -terminal on the coil meant to be at groung and the + terminal not connected, and when the car is on, is - terminal still at ground and what hapens to the + terminal? i dont understand as why is the green wire from the hybrid ignition at 12v, when it goes to the- terminal?

geeman
14th March 2010, 11:44 AM
ok, i think i got it sorted, as the engine loom didnt seem to be grounded for some reason, so i grounded one of the brown wires and now it seems grounded, however, where does the +ve wire from the ignition coil go to, as i says it goes to the anti theft module, do i just put it to +12v?

geeman
14th March 2010, 12:26 PM
Ok, i got the plugs sparking, when i crank, fuel it being pumped in, puffs of smoke are coming out the exhaust, except, it doesn't start and stay running now? i put a teaspoon or so into the carb, still no luck, any ideas? wiring seems to be right if it is sparking.. i dont know what to do now?

twinturbo
14th March 2010, 01:01 PM
Coil +12V goes to the Black and yellow at the ignition switch.

If using the orignial loom you will find that the circuit is interupted by the alarm/imobalise module . Find the 16 pin plug for this and join the 2 Balck + yellow wires.

Don't wire it to a constant +12 except for testing.

If your getting spark, and the plugs are gettign wet.

Pull the plugs and clean them and bake them in the oven at 100c for 30 mins. Leave the cylinders to evaporate the fuel for a couple of hours. Refit the plugs and check the lead order is correct.

Give it another whirl.

TT

geeman
14th March 2010, 01:49 PM
Coil +12V goes to the Black and yellow at the ignition switch.

If using the orignial loom you will find that the circuit is interupted by the alarm/imobalise module . Find the 16 pin plug for this and join the 2 Balck + yellow wires.

Don't wire it to a constant +12 except for testing.

If your getting spark, and the plugs are gettign wet.

Pull the plugs and clean them and bake them in the oven at 100c for 30 mins. Leave the cylinders to evaporate the fuel for a couple of hours. Refit the plugs and check the lead order is correct.

Give it another whirl.

TT

yep, thats how i wired it, ok, ill give the plugs a good clean as they did look quite black/dirty probably cos the cvh im using is on its last legs:eek: , but ill see if i can get it started.