PDA

View Full Version : IVA Less than 24 hours to go

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 09:45 AM
hi all

As im sure you are all alredy aware my IVA is 8:30 tomorrow (tuesday) morning at nottingham

any tips??

Tilly

Bonzo
8th March 2010, 09:53 AM
I hope all goes well for you Tilly :)

Just spend today Chillin & having a good look to see if you have missed anything :cool:

Best tip ? ........ Don't forget to turn up for the test in the morning :D

Good luck for tomorrow mate :cool:

twinturbo
8th March 2010, 09:54 AM
Get a good nights sleep.
Take a packed lunch.
Expect to fail.
Be positive anyway.

TT

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 09:59 AM
hmm chill out.......Im at work ...... lol
get a good nights sleep..... not much chance of that....

expect to fail........ now there is something i can do with ease.... at least that way i cannot be disapointed....

the anout of grief its given me this past week it would have to be a mirical for it to pass..

tilly

twinturbo
8th March 2010, 10:09 AM
expect to fail........ now there is something i can do with ease.... at least that way i cannot be disapointed....

People say I am negative,

I see it as a good thing, that way I can't be disapointed and if somethig turns out good it's a bonus!!!

When one of the guys at work has been off for a week I swap the keys on his keybaord, doctor his work badge and generaly make it so he's frustrated in the 1st 10 minuets of his day.. Then the day can only get better :D

TT

Enoch
8th March 2010, 10:35 AM
Best of luck, I hope any fail points are small ones. The most quoted saying by IVA testers seems to be " they never pass first time" so don't be too surprised if they find something. Whatever it is it's unliklely to be a big deal or something that nobody on here has an answer for. You will be sure your car is safe at the end of it.
Let us know what happens.

AshG
8th March 2010, 11:10 AM
All i can say is rather than worrying just go there listen to what the guy has to say and write it all down. chances are its not going to pass first time but you know that anyway. think of it as going to get a list of things you have to do to finish the car. take some grubb.

if they fail something that you are not happy about think about it from their perspective, note it down and ask at the end. they do a nice little sit down at the end where they go through all the fails and explain how you can address them.

make sure you have got some tools they may ask you to remove a wheel nut to check the taper, also leave your headlights slightly loose so they can align them (take a socket to tighten them up).

only put nut covers on things that will cause a radius problem nothing else.

check all your lights work and that your foglight can only turn on when the dipped or full beam are on.

sidelights and hazards must work when the ignition is off.

check all the bulbs work.

check you have a second fixing in the front mushrooms

make sure no brake lines, fuel lines or wiring are rubbing on the chassis anywhere. check that all brake components have a locking device, (make sure the calliper bolts have locktight on them)

that's about all I can think of really.

finally make sure you leave nice and early if you have a problem driving down its likely to set you back 40 odd mins. its better to be there early and wait than to be late and not get a test. plus you can drive round the test centre time and time again while you wait for the doors to open :D

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 11:23 AM
side lights and hazards have to work with ignition off......

S...T

Somthing for me to sort out tonight before it goes in the trailor.....

tilly

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 11:28 AM
ok found the bit in the manual about hazards but carnt find the bit about the side light having to work with the ignition off.....

tilly

AshG
8th March 2010, 11:35 AM
well they do because they act as a parking light when you park at night on the wrong side of the road :D

are you using the sierra stalks?

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 11:39 AM
yeh im using sierra stalks

slimtater
8th March 2010, 05:45 PM
Stand in front of the mirror going:

"Grrrrr, I am a tiger"

Positive mental attitude Alan Partridge style!

What's the worst that can happen? It fails so miserably that out of desperation to own a roadworthy Haynes BEC, you buy mine?

Only kidding, all the best Tilly.

HandyAndy
8th March 2010, 05:59 PM
Tilly........

Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow, Hold your head high & proud, you,ve built a car :cool: The test is there to ensure that you & others will be safe once you,re on the road, & when someone asks "where did you buy your car from"? You can then reply with " I built it from scratch" a fantastic achievement indeed:cool:

I,d like to wish you good luck with the test, i know its easy to say this but enjoy the experience, all the best mate.

cheers
andy

dogwood
8th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Well, good luck Tilly, we will all be rooting for ya.
I think everything has already been covered as far as the test is concerned.
Main thing is if it does fail, ask what needs to be done to get a pass.

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi all

thanks for all the advice, iv sorted out the hazards and the side lights so they can now be switch on without the ignition.... very big thank you to ASH who spent about an hour and half of his time on the phone to me eirlier going thew a few bits and bobs that was a massive help so chears ASH...

car is in the trailor ready to go, not driving there due to the lean mix at high rpm id rarther not risk it, might drive it back depending on how it goes and if i think i can resist plowing my right foot into the pedal box

im not under any illusion.....im dam sure it will fail on something i havent even thought of but like you have said at least i get a list of things to do and hopefully some advice on how to do them to the required standard

thanks
tilly

slimtater
25th March 2010, 11:02 AM
Word on the street is that Tilly has passed he re-test today - no doubt he will be posting later!
:D :D

twinturbo
25th March 2010, 01:22 PM
Excelent!

TT

Bonzo
25th March 2010, 01:30 PM
I eagerly await the good news :cool: :)