PDA

View Full Version : Tapered reamer, yes again!

Davey
8th March 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi guys, I'm about ready to ream out my front uprights to take the Maxi ball joints. I know there is a perfectly good reamer available very cheaply from Axminster but what I was thinking was that there must be several of these tools now languishing unloved and unwanted in toolboxes up and down the country. Is there anyone in the west mids who has one and would like to recoup its cost?

If there is one available I shall make it available to another builder after I've done with it.

D.

twinturbo
8th March 2010, 08:11 PM
sounds like a plan, a forum tool...

I need to do mine too..

TT

Davey
8th March 2010, 08:48 PM
I thought so, it just seems daft that we're all buying this tool to use it twice then forget it. I know its not an expensive piece of kit but waste irritates me.

D.

Tilly819
8th March 2010, 08:54 PM
if you are over need melton mowbray only about an hour and half from telford just past leicestor in the nead future bring the uprights over and il do them for you in the milling machine... would just lend you the reamer but iv modified it slightly and as a result it can no longer be used by hand

tilly

AshG
8th March 2010, 09:13 PM
well i have given out 3 of them now so there should be plenty floating about. cant remember who i gave them to. think Les has got one but I may be wrong.

SeriesLandy
8th March 2010, 09:27 PM
I bought some drill bits at the same time as the postage was the same/more than the item. It's also useful for cleaning the shroud on the mig welder.

AshG
8th March 2010, 09:57 PM
im lucky the shop is only down the road. saves on silly postage costs.

i think us kent boys are spoilt. we have got rally designs, car builder solutions, axminster tools, GKD, Aeon, Hawk, caterham, machine mart, tool station, screwfix on our door step :D

alga
8th March 2010, 10:31 PM
Come on, it's only 3 pounds or so, and still under 10 pounds with shipping to Europe!

martin62
8th March 2010, 10:36 PM

i think us kent boys are spoilt. we have got rally designs, car builder solutions, axminster tools, GKD, Aeon, Hawk, caterham, machine mart, tool station, screwfix on our door step :D

Hi Ash try ordering parts from Ireland and the delivery charges often come to more than the part you want

twinturbo
8th March 2010, 11:02 PM

Yeah but I lived in Rochester for year..

We are spoiled up her with fantastic roads, great mountain passes, Super sights and wonderful towns...

I will gladly pay some postage rather than have to suffer the garden of england again ( cos it reminds me of my garden which is utter s.......t :) )

TT

AshG
8th March 2010, 11:13 PM
i know what you mean tt. luckily i dont live right in rochester just near it :D

nice and quiet where I am in fact too quiet because the moaner nextdoor keeps moaning at me for making noise :D

lived in central Coventry for 5 years and I would rather be in Kent given the choice :D

Davey
9th March 2010, 06:45 AM
if you are over need melton mowbray only about an hour and half from telford just past leicestor in the nead future bring the uprights over and il do them for you in the milling machine... would just lend you the reamer but iv modified it slightly and as a result it can no longer be used by hand

tilly

Thanks Tilly, I'll bear that in mind if it turns out that no one in west mids has one to pass on. I'm just not likely to be in your neck of the woods anytime soon.

D.

Davey
9th March 2010, 06:49 AM
Come on, it's only 3 pounds or so, and still under 10 pounds with shipping to Europe!

Yes Albert I know its only £3, less than £10 with postage and I could order it today and have it by Thursday but it just seems wasteful for all us builders to be buying our own to use them once. It just seemed that it might be possible for someone who already has one to pass it on to someone else not too far away who could buy it off them for the original price, use it then sell it on to the next builder.

I'm really not that bothered about saving a tenner, I can easily piss more than that up the wall on a Sunday afternoon:D .

D.

HandyAndy
9th March 2010, 08:11 AM
I have the Axeminster reamer that Ash sent to me ( foc... owe you a pint Ash ;) )

I,d be happy to post it to anyone that needs it,

cheers
andy:)

GraemeWebb
9th March 2010, 10:06 AM
Is it the same taper that is needed for the Ford Transit steering link as used in the top wishbone? Using a BMW upright so cant use std mushroom.

Big Vern
9th March 2010, 03:42 PM
Is it the same taper that is needed for the Transit top BJ? As I will need to do the top of the MX-5 uprights.

HandyAndy
9th March 2010, 03:48 PM
ooh, not sure, the reamer i have is the one that Ash sent me to do the sierra uprights to accept the maxi ball joints,

its the 19mm one i believe :confused: :o :D

its here if anyone needs to borrow it then send onto the next person etc.

cheers
andy

Davey
9th March 2010, 06:18 PM
Cheers Andy, that's the idea:D . if nobody closer to home offers one up in the next day or so I'll take you up on the offer and cover the postage;) . i'll have to check out the thread detailing builders locations and see if there any fairly near by.

D.

HandyAndy
9th March 2010, 06:21 PM
Cheers Andy, that's the idea:D . if nobody closer to home offers one up in the next day or so I'll take you up on the offer and cover the postage;) . i'll have to check out the thread detailing builders locations and see if there any fairly near by.

D.

Davey....

PM me your address & i,ll get it posted off to you, buy me a doughnut at Stoneleigh ;) :cool:

cheers
andy

Davey
9th March 2010, 08:32 PM
All sorted, cheers Andy. When I've done with it I'll post it on to the next user who wants it so anyone who is coming up to needing the reamer post here, first come first served :D .

D.

twinturbo
9th March 2010, 08:36 PM
Let me know when your done and I can get mine reamed...

Take some pics of your work ..

TT

Davey
9th March 2010, 08:47 PM
Okay mate you got it, hopefully will all be done by next week:D So I'll send it on if you PM me your address;) .

D.

AshG
9th March 2010, 09:17 PM
considering i paid the postage to send it to andy. andy can pay the postage to davey and davey can pay the postge to the next guy. :D

when it fubbared send it back to me and i will get a new one and send it out again :D

Davey
9th March 2010, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a plan guys;) , you know it makes sense.

D.

HandyAndy
considering i paid the postage to send it to andy. andy can pay the postage to davey and davey can pay the postge to the next guy. :D

when it fubbared send it back to me and i will get a new one and send it out again

Thats what i said to Davey in PM,s :D

In fact i told Davey that you paid for the item l (and wouldn,t take a payment for it) aswell as the postage so its the least i can do to let someone else make use of it ;) :cool:

cheers
andy

twinturbo
Plan... :)

TT

twinturbo
9th March 2010, 09:30 PM
This forum realy is Gr8 :D

TT

Davey
9th March 2010, 10:02 PM
I just love it when a plan comes together:D .

D.

martin62
9th March 2010, 10:31 PM
I just love it when a plan comes together:D .

D.

Hi Ash I was thinking if I could send you money if you were passing axminster some time you could pick up a couple of reamers and I could collect them in Stoneligh just to save on postage.If there is a problem I will understand

AshG
9th March 2010, 10:33 PM
yeah that's no problem remind me closer to the time.

Big Vern
10th March 2010, 12:07 AM
Davey....

PM me your address & i,ll get it posted off to you, buy me a doughnut at Stoneleigh ;)

cheers
andy

Ooohh! S t o n e l e i g h D o u g h n u t s hhmmm :D :D :D

AshG
10th March 2010, 08:33 AM
spikehaus bought the doenuts last year. They were yummy after 3 days of bbq sausage.

Davey
17th March 2010, 08:22 PM
Well the good news is the reamer arrived this morning and I was able to do my uprights this afternoon (perks of working for yourself:p ) so I was able to forward it to Twinturbo this afternoon.

Here's a few photos of my uprights being reamed:

I initially tried to do them "loose" lying on the bench but soon realised the upright needs to be held in a vice or fixture of some description so I removed the brake caliper and disc and clamped it in the vice.

008 shows the Maxi ball joint in the unreamed hole.

009 shows the reamer in the hole, the copper pipe is there simply to make the T bar a more comfortable diameter, not to extend it ( I have sent the copper tube along with the reamer to the next user).

010 shows the depth that the ball joint goes to after reaming, ignore the grubby paw holding it in place, the rubber boot wouldn't let it sit at its lowest.

D.

P.S. the reamer was showing some wear so I gave it a few wipes on a diamond sharpening stone before I did mine and it worked a treat. Please do not turn the reamer backwards as this will ruin the cutting edges.

D.

HandyAndy
17th March 2010, 08:34 PM
P.S. the reamer was showing some wear so I gave it a few wipes on a diamond sharpening stone before I did mine and it worked a treat. Please do not turn the reamer backwards as this will ruin the cutting edges.

D.

:o
Ooops :o

Davey..... sorry for the delay, but glad it did the job for you.

cheers
andy

Davey
17th March 2010, 08:41 PM
:o
Ooops :o

Davey..... sorry for the delay, but glad it did the job for you.

cheers
andy

No sweat mate, it did the job a treat. I wasn't having a go by mentioning that it was showing wear, by the very nature of what it does it will wear away. just thought I'd mention that I'd resharpened it and it worked beautifully. If anyone ever needs to sharpen such a tool use a diamond sharpening stone, it should only need a few wipes to bring it back to "as new" condition.

Thanks for sending it, D.

HandyAndy
17th March 2010, 08:44 PM
:) I know you weren,t "having a go" Davey ;)

I was just acknowledging my mistake, that possibly blunted it prematurely :o :D

cheers
andy

twinturbo
20th March 2010, 07:06 AM
recived :)

Will do mine over the weekend hopefully ( if the dishwasher does not pack up again ).

TT

Davey
20th March 2010, 07:22 AM
Good show, will the next user of the reamer please make their request here and PM their postal address to TT:D .

D.

mdasseville
24th March 2010, 08:31 PM
Hi guys

If i could put my name down that would be great

Cheers

Mike:)

twinturbo
24th March 2010, 08:56 PM
Finsihed mine off tonight, so will pop it in the post in the next day or so.

Cheers

Rob

twinturbo
27th March 2010, 10:27 AM
On route to Mike

TT

mdasseville
27th March 2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks TT

I'll keep an eye out for it

twinturbo
31st March 2010, 12:49 PM
Recived?

TT

mdasseville
31st March 2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Rob,

Got the reamer today thanks

Will do my hubs over the week end

Mike:D

mdasseville
4th April 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi

I have finished with the reamer,.. so who would like it next,

Please PM me and i will send it out Tuesday

Thankyou

Mike

twinturbo
4th April 2010, 08:19 PM
Top man!

We should get EU green subsidies for reusing, reducing and recycling ;)

TT

mdasseville
5th April 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi TT,

I have just looked back at the old posts to see who might need the reamer next,.....no one jumps out!!!!! I'll leave it for a week and see what happens:cool:

Mike

mdasseville
13th April 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi All

I have still got this reamer does anyone else need to use it?
if not who is the owner and i will send it back to them.I need to do this soon as i'm on holiday from the 22nd April to the 5th May so won't beable to send it then :confused:

Thanks

Mike

AshG
13th April 2010, 04:27 PM
it was mine to start with but i have a spare so keep hold of it until someone wants it.

HandyAndy
13th April 2010, 04:32 PM
it was mine to start with but i have a spare so keep hold of it until someone wants it.

:D :o but it originated from me ( after Ash had sent it to me :p ) , so if you want to send it to me, i,ll hold onto it at Saturn for anyone else that may need it in future , in case its needed whilst Mike is on his hols etc.

cheers
andy

AshG
13th April 2010, 05:01 PM
thats a good idea andy. new rule if your finished with it and no one else wants it send it back to saturn.

twinturbo
13th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Andy can be in charge of sharpening duties ;)

TT

gingea1pom
13th April 2010, 05:30 PM
Can I send my reamer to you as well they can keep each other company?

Cheers Ginge

mdasseville
13th April 2010, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I'll post it to Andy on Saturday,..as i'm not at home till then:( (in Germany)
If anybody needs it i will have to ask the wife to pack it and send it for me,...not sure if i want my wife in the workshop when i'm away she might find some stuff to Ebay when i'm away:eek:

Cheers

Mike:D

antonia800
7th May 2010, 06:21 PM
Hi TT,

I have just looked back at the old posts to see who might need the reamer next,.....no one jumps out!!!!! I'll leave it for a week and see what happens:cool:

Mike

hi need the reamer ASAP or at least the part no or something to help (no jokes boys) Antonia Medcalf

Bonzo
7th May 2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Antonia

A very warm welcome to the forum :)

I do not know who has the reamer at the moment but it can be bought very cheaply from Axminster tool center ;)

Here's a link for you.

Handy Reamer (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23107&name=handy+reamer&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0)

The one you need is the 19mm Handy Reamer.

There, all done & not a smutty remark has left my lips :D

Hope this helps