PDA

View Full Version : seat belt nut grade

dan_g8
9th March 2010, 10:59 PM
hi, i bought some nuts off of ebay for my seat fastenings. i was told by the seller that they were grade 8 (im guessing they need to be 8 or higher) however after fully welding them onto the chassis plate and fully welding the plate onto the chassis i realised that i couldnt see a 8 stamped onto the nut. is there another way of identifying the grade of the nut? i have got a feeling that they are only grade 1! :mad:

attached (hopefully) is what is stamped onto the nut.

Dan

ozzy1
9th March 2010, 11:11 PM
Doesnt look like it to me.It would be stamped 8.8 or have a line from each corner of the nut making 6 lines on it or could have BD on it.

deezee
10th March 2010, 08:32 AM
The IVA doesn't check the grade of the nut, if thats any consolation :confused:

dan_g8
10th March 2010, 01:35 PM
would grade 1 nuts be ok to use then ? some one at work just told me that it doesnt matter too much about the tensile strength of a nut because the "bolt should have all of the strength" :confused:

deezee
10th March 2010, 01:46 PM
Well thats kind of true as its in shear when under load. I used unmarked nuts for the lower mounts (supplied by Europa) and the rears are just tapped mild steel rod.... so nothing fancy.

dan_g8
10th March 2010, 06:30 PM
thats good enough for me, think ill keep them as they are. Thanks for your responses.

tex
13th April 2010, 01:09 PM
ideally they should be 8.8 bolts which is what modern belts use in tin tops now - the higher grades such as 10.9 are usually used in steering stressed bolts such as pinch bolts, 12.9's used in flywheels, driveshafts etc..