PDA

View Full Version : Floor Under Steering Rack

Tim Taylor
16th March 2010, 11:54 PM
The book floor does not extend under the steering rack. I was wondering if anyone did this.

I can see that it might help with the cooling by directing the air at the engine instead of the ground.

Any thoughts?

HandyAndy
17th March 2010, 12:00 AM
no reason why you couldn,t "floor" that area,
but
Not sure it would aid the cooling of the engine as it may have the opposite effect by stopping air flow from entering the engine bay from under the car,

Do you mean it would channel air from the radiator area to the engine?

not heard of anyone that has done what you suggest tho.

cheers
andy

Tim Taylor
17th March 2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks Andy, you're up quite late.

I thought it might tunnel air straight to the engine. Here in Florida we need as much cooling as possible.

I think i'll save the aluminum (aluminium) and forgo this area.

HandyAndy
17th March 2010, 12:51 AM
:D I,m always up late :eek:

Ahh, you see we don,t have so much nice weather like you do in Florida, ( been there a few times & had a great time )

Some folk put vents in the side panels beside the engine to allow hot air to escape, that might help in your climate.
Also a nice bonnet scoop would help air flow.

cheers
andy

ozzy1
17th March 2010, 01:54 AM
In Oz its not uncommon to put some flooring under the steering rack area but this is generally to aid with beam deflection and torsional rigidity tests we have.

We dont have any cooling issues here in WA with our heat ,but you can do as andy says and fit side vents and bonnet vent.Also an aluminium radiator and there is an addative called WATER WETTER which will reduce your coolant temp if it is a problem.

carlknight1982
17th March 2010, 06:33 AM
take a look at the vents mentioned above, i think dax rush is the biggest "comercial" builder to use that but im sure if im wrong someone will correct me soon :)