PDA

View Full Version : Tig welded chassis

Eternal
17th March 2010, 09:40 PM
Hay guys just a quick question to see how many of you have tig welded chassis?

geeman
17th March 2010, 09:51 PM
I tig'd mine all the way, as ive never used a mig welder before, only tig. I didn't have anay probs, apart from it being slow, but it didnt really bother me.

AshG
17th March 2010, 09:55 PM
mine is a mix of mig and tig. tigged all the pretty bits and migged all the hard to get to bits.

deezee
17th March 2010, 10:23 PM
I used tig on my chassis and wishbones. Simply because thats was the only welding set I could get for free. Its very relaxing, if nothing else. Although required two hands does mean you tend to need a lot of clamps etc to hold things in place.

Eternal
18th March 2010, 07:28 AM
Cool. The idea for using tig and mig for hard to get to bits is a great idea. Thanks a load guys!

Enoch
18th March 2010, 08:40 AM
Just to be different I arc welded mine. I think you get a much deeper, stronger weld on thick gauge material with arc - it's a debate that has been had many times now:) I have a 200 amp jobby, most of the time I use it at an indicated 90 amps, the rear uprights required 130 amps, still well within the capabilities of the machine.
Enoch

Bonzo
18th March 2010, 05:15 PM
I started with the TIG ..... Soon got bored !! Me all over, i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Dragged the MIG out PDQ :D

Enoch

Looking at your build diary .... Looks like you are doing a darn fine job with your trusty Arc welder :cool: :)

If I had some decent electrodes to hand, would have used the stick welder on some of the heavier stuff myself.
I still enjoy stick welding & don't have a lot of chance to do so, as often as I used too.

Enoch
18th March 2010, 07:13 PM
Fanks Ronnie:) I am going to take some pics of my rear uprights soon and also some of the side infill panels, just to show what a flexible machine it is. It does TIG as well but I have not had a go with that yet.
Enoch.

squbti
18th March 2010, 08:10 PM
I also TIG welded everything from chassis to wish bones & uprights. it didnt take a long time & i have no spatter & will not have to grind any joints at all not even the ones on the outside where the side panels go so i think it turned out realy well . TIG is king:D :D
samy

Bonzo
18th March 2010, 08:13 PM
TIG is king:D :D
samy

Can't argue with you there Samy .... Just need the patience of a Saint .... That's all :o :o

squbti
18th March 2010, 08:20 PM
& the hands of a god:D :D
Samy

Bonzo
18th March 2010, 08:28 PM
Yep, I must admit .... My filler rod hand isn't as steady as it once was :o :o

Mind you .... Still not bad for a doddery old fart like me :D :D

squbti
18th March 2010, 08:55 PM
I was TIG welding some stainless steel boat parts the other day at work &was so relaxed that i must have fallen asleep & started dreaming or something but when i snaped out of it i was still welding & the weld looked pretty good too:D :D thank god i wasnt MIGing :o I would have made a good mess:rolleyes: but then again i dont think i would have falen asleep MIG welding.
samy

Eternal
18th March 2010, 09:10 PM
Hah i just got my city & guilds in tig welding on monday. happy days! oh seeing as we are talking about welding and chassis..... rather than starting a new thread just want to ask a quick question on this idea.

Pic is not my chassis its a pic from Gingae1pom's build! but anyhow I really really really dont like that blue bar when i do my build i would like to remove the blue but add all the red... also using a roll bar design the same that will be also inplace of that bar. It will still be there just not any bits that extend past the plate....
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2052/chassisidea.jpg
what do you think? oh yeah yellow is plates! its kinda like the Donkervoort chassis shown here..
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2962/chassis.jpg

deezee
19th March 2010, 10:23 AM
Whats wrong with the blue bar? Its covered in aluminium anyway. I can't see there being a massive problem, but imagine that blue bar helps loads in flex as the suspension loads up that turret.

I mean on every sporty production car, everyone puts a strut brace between the turrets to help the road holding.

GraemeWebb
19th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Whats wrong with the blue bar? Its covered in aluminium anyway. I can't see there being a massive problem, but imagine that blue bar helps loads in flex as the suspension loads up that turret.

I mean on every sporty production car, everyone puts a strut brace between the turrets to help the road holding.

Could not agree more. The red bits will not add any significant stiffness, just weight.

alga
19th March 2010, 06:47 PM
Well, usually strut bars link the upper suspension mount points. In Haynes the suspension mounts are well boxed anyway. Maybe the complete seat back box improves the torsional rigidity of the frame, but anyway it's just guesses, changes like that should be tested with FEA, like the book chassis was tested.

AS-Motorsport
20th March 2010, 11:19 AM
On the topic of TIG welding. We are a company that produce components for kit cars and chassis and we always TIG weld. Its just our policy to always TIG weld due to all the reasons people have mentioned above.