PDA

View Full Version : Rear uprights

Peter-C
18th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Do you use the original bolts from the donor to fix the rear brake backplate to the fabricated upright ? Mine seem over long.

Cheers

Peter

Peter-C
18th March 2010, 07:47 PM
Also I've tried the driveshafts in the hubs and tightened them fairly tight but I still have 6-7mm of play. Do I have to wait until I get the wheels on and the car on the ground before I full tighten them. Sorry to be a pain but its doing me 'ed in !!

Peter

Bonzo
18th March 2010, 07:48 PM
If they are the original bolts there shouldn't be a problem ;)

Never noticed anything that could cause problems when I test fitted my running gear.

I am sure you would have remembered that the bolts hold the hub carrier as well as the drum back plate :)

Just for reference .... The original bolts will be blue in colour, M10 standard metric thread & smaller Hex head rather than the usual 17mm normaly used on a M10 bolt.

Bonzo
18th March 2010, 07:54 PM
Also I've tried the driveshafts in the hubs and tightened them fairly tight but I still have 6-7mm of play. Do I have to wait until I get the wheels on and the car on the ground before I full tighten them. Sorry to be a pain but its doing me 'ed in !!

Peter

You'll need to hold the drum steady & tighten the driveshaft nuts up quite a bit .... They often stick on the spline a little, giving the impression that they are tight & they are not !!?? .

If you have gone to the expense of buying new nyloc nuts .... Place a spacer or a few washers under the nuts to avoid damaging the Nylon ring ;)

HandyAndy
18th March 2010, 08:00 PM

Peter

Hi Peter,

when you say you have 6/7mm of play....where is the play?

Its just that i remember when i was at the same stage, i couldn,t get the hub to sit flush with the upright, scratched my head for a while then realised i hadn,t got the splines fully "home" into the diff end:o :eek:
A bit of jiggery pokery & finally got everything mated & tightened up.

just a thought ;)

cheers
andy

Peter-C
18th March 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Ronnie and Andy,

I think you're right in that the carrier seems tight on the splines and is not fully home. I'm sure now that it will pull up when I tighten it.

Cheers again

Peter