PDA

View Full Version : Getting older

Chris Gibbs
16th March 2007, 07:04 PM
Hi,

I got up this morning feeling reasonably good until I got to the front door.

Loads of junk mail.

Stairlifts.......hmmmm

"Planning your funeral" and "making a will" - that's a co-incidence.

But the one that really got me was for incontinence pants.

I'm sure they've been watching me......

I need a lie down.

Cheers

Chris:)

Trophy Blue
16th March 2007, 09:44 PM
Probably heard that you dont use axle stands!!

Chris Gibbs
17th March 2007, 01:14 PM
I do now!

For those who don't know, I was foolish enough to change my dampers on the Locost using just a trolley jack for support.

The inevitable happend and the car fell off the jack.

The drivers side sill fell across my abdomen, I suffered a split spleen. If I had been working on a heavier car, I might not have been here to type this.

This is why I emphasise safety throughout the book. We all try to cut corners to save time, but consider this.

When I hurt myself I couldn't work on the car for three months.

Three months lost trying to save two minutes in getting the axle stands out.

Think safety all the time, you need to be around to drive your car.

Cheers

Chris;)

SpitfirePaul
17th March 2007, 02:03 PM
Ouch!!

You ok now then Chris?

Paul :(

Mud
17th March 2007, 02:22 PM
Good advice Chris. One of my best buddies is in a chair now because he was doing some work on his car and he by-passed the inhibitor switch with one of those diagnostic attachments. He pressed the remote starter and the car was in D. Crushed him against the wall and there was no-one nearby to help him.

Mike

Chris Gibbs
17th March 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm fine thanks Paul, It's probably done me a favour in the end, I'm more careful in the workshop, and that's a good thing.

Sorry to hear about your friend Mike, there was a technical bulletin last year about this very problem, where the diagnostic was by passing the inhibitor.

Cheers

Chris

Renrut
22nd March 2007, 10:07 AM
Makes my broken foot seem like a bad bruise. :(

A bad injury makes you take more care about things but its far better to learn from other peoples mistakes and to think things out carefully before you start a job.

Will

Neil P
22nd March 2007, 03:26 PM
Fig 2.17 in the book - should have read it more carefully. I've been using 9" grinders for a long time and probably became a bit complacent. Cutting up some steel last week, 25mm box strangely enough, the grinder picked up the workpiece and smashed it into the back of my hand. Little finger and ring finger of my right hand with very deep gashes and a displaced fracture to my little finger. Did I swear - oh yes! but only once I'd checked my fingers were still there. I did wonder whether they would be when it happened.

Out of interest I worked out that a 9" grinder blade at 6000 rpm is travelling at over 160 mph at its outer edge. No wonder it stings!!

Fingers now strapped up for about five weeks. Still managing to strip out my donor left handed though. :D

Neil

Chris Gibbs
22nd March 2007, 06:03 PM
Reminds me of a friend of mine called Frank, he's got three fingers on one hand and two on the other - and he still works in the saw mill!!!!

I suppose anyone that works with machinery has this type of story, I once set the garage door (the only means of exit) on fire when I was grinding.

Then there's http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm this

WARNING don't click the link if you are in any way squemish, it's pretty gross!

Cheers

Chris

Mud
22nd March 2007, 06:20 PM
I've seen that before Chris.

Turns your stomach just thinkin about it!

Mike:eek:

Neil P
22nd March 2007, 06:48 PM
That is gross. You want to stop reading but can't help yourself.

Neil

G-Man
23rd March 2007, 05:43 PM
Ooooooow:eek: how can you not notice you have a bollock missing? :confused:

Mud
25th March 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for that Chris!

I suppose if we consider it to be a warning then it will have done it's job.

I'm still squirming!

Mike:D