PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheels Towing in

Enoch
19th March 2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Folks, I have just test fitted my rear suspension components. It all seemed to fit together very nicely but on checking that the uprights were parallel I notice a slight tow in. It's the same on both sides and it's only very slight. When I put a straight edge against it and measure the distance from the bottom rail to the straight edge it runs out about 2mm over about 1 metre.
So 2 questions really:
1. Should I worry about a tow in of that much?
2. If I do need to worry what would be the best way to fix it?

I was thinking of thin shims between the donor hub and the upright - does that sound sensible?

Oh bother - that's 3 questions:o
Anyway - your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Best to all,
Enoch.

spud69
20th March 2010, 10:45 AM
This happens to a few people Enoch,

If you clamp in some thin shims of aluminium or copper the soft metal will clamp between the plates and not corrode. Doesn't need much though by the sound of it.

Mine have been in over a year and have been fine.

AndyH

AshG
20th March 2010, 11:41 AM
using a bit of string from the front to back wheel on mine i have about 1mm toe in on the back. i would have thought its more likely to be your wishbones that are out rather than the chassis. from memory i think we worked out that 8mm toe in off of a straight edge was about 1degree.

if you get the april 2010 complete kitcar mag from either tesco or online there is an additional guide with it called guide to track days in that book there are proper instructions to check and setup your suspension.

Enoch
20th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Andy, it's reassuring to know it's not just me :-)
I will be calling you in a few mins, have just had a disaster with a rear wishbone and need to order some bits :-(

Enoch
20th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Ash, looks like we were both typing at the same time.
Will have a look see if I can get the CKC article.