PDA

View Full Version : New parts build?

CaptainCrash1971
20th March 2010, 09:12 PM
Daft question, has anyone attempted to build a roadster using all new parts to try and get a new plate. Is this even possible? I know it goes against the build on a budget theme, but wouldn't mind a car on a 10 plate.
I know the engine management would be quite pricey to make sure of passing IVA but can anyone see any other massive expenses?:confused: :confused:
It's only a pie in the sky idea at the mo, I'm still actively looking for a donor whilst dreaming.:rolleyes:

spud69
20th March 2010, 09:23 PM
Hello Crash,

It is possible with a Haynes Roadster to get a new registration. We will be doing this with Saturn Sports Cars to put cars on the road with a new reg. Have spoken to Mark Vickers at VOSA and there is no problem with this as long as we follow the strict guidelines as below. It also means that we can put cars through as a low volume car manufacturer at a reduced cost, also can put through other builders cars but would need to be registered as a Saturn Car.

For a new registration you need all parts used to build the car to be new except for one major reconditioned component, whether this be engine, gearbox, differential - you need to have proof that it has been reconditioned to as new condition. You have to be able to prove that ALL components are new via receipts. All this will vastly put your build cost up as you will not be allowed a donor and some parts may be hard to source as a new product, you could still build your chassis and wishbones / uprights yourself as long as you provide receipts for the steel being new. Would it be worth it just to have a new registration when it only matters if you are planning on selling after building.

Have a look below on our website, you are not far from us, and you are more than welcome to come over and have a chat about it if you like. Maybe even on a "Saturn Saturday" for some chat and burger....;)

Regards....AndyH

Bonzo
20th March 2010, 09:25 PM
No problem at all if you want a new registration plate, provided you don't mind splashing out the cash :)

To qualify for new build staus you are only allowed to use 1, as new ( Reconditioned ) Part
Normally engine or gearbox .... Keep invoices/reciepts .... DVLA will almost certainly check their authenticity ;)

As far as I know .... You can still use second hand parts such as the Sierra steering wheel, switches & cowl.

All major running components must be new.

spud69
20th March 2010, 09:37 PM
No problem at all if you want a new registration plate, provided you don't mind splashing out the cash :)

To qualify for new build staus you are only allowed to use 1, as new ( Reconditioned ) Part
Normally engine or gearbox .... Keep invoices/reciepts .... DVLA will almost certainly check their authenticity ;)

As far as I know .... You can still use second hand parts such as the Sierra steering wheel, switches & cowl.

All major running components must be new.

I thought it was all new parts Ronnie, but that's easy to check. But you're right for the additional cost of getting a new registration it goes against the philosophy of the Haynes concept. If you where paying a lot more money for a bolt together kit which would be much easier and less additional cost to get a new reg then maybe.

All opinion of course...

CaptainCrash1971
20th March 2010, 10:12 PM
Cheers for that spud. I've actually already been to saturn earlier this week, you took me out in the roadster and scared me witless (should that be spelled with a sh instead of a w?)
Will actually be using one of your chassis's for the build, and will be buying a new zetec engine, possibly running on throttle bodies/ecu, so if I'm going to the expense of all that, was just really wondering out loud if it would be worth paying the extra and going for a 10 plate (or more likely a 60 or 11 plate)
I know it's not really the point of the haynes roadster, but I might decide I like the build so much that I'll decide to sell it and build an even better one. Like I said in the original post, it's all a bit pie in the sky, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty I'll probably chicken out of spending sooooo much!!

spud69
20th March 2010, 10:19 PM
Cheers for that spud. I've actually already been to saturn earlier this week, you took me out in the roadster and scared me witless (should that be spelled with a sh instead of a w?)
Will actually be using one of your chassis's for the build, and will be buying a new zetec engine, possibly running on throttle bodies/ecu, so if I'm going to the expense of all that, was just really wondering out loud if it would be worth paying the extra and going for a 10 plate (or more likely a 60 or 11 plate)
I know it's not really the point of the haynes roadster, but I might decide I like the build so much that I'll decide to sell it and build an even better one. Like I said in the original post, it's all a bit pie in the sky, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty I'll probably chicken out of spending sooooo much!!

Hello Captain, didn't realise it was you.......;)

Was just trying to give my opinion, would be great to have a new reg but does the extra expense justify it. If you are going to go that route then speak to Mark at AutoMark in Stokesley, he is the man for setting up that arrangement and very reasonable but you need to book early to get in there. Glad you enjoyed your run out though - I always do, can't wait for the track day in 4 weeks.

If you need any help or opinions then you know where we are.....;)

Cheers...AndyH

AshG
20th March 2010, 10:48 PM
to be honest new plates are just for people that want to ponce about and show everyone that they are in their new car :D means nothing after 6 months :D. at the end of the day if it says built 2010 on the v5 thats all that matters in regards to age. personally i think mechanical condition is much more important on second hand kit cars.

at the end of the day your building one of these cars to drive and own, if your thinking about selling it before you have even built it then that seems a bit weird to me.

twinturbo
20th March 2010, 10:58 PM
Walked past a shiney Focus titanium on the way to morrisons earlier.. Looked nice, but it was on an 09 plate.. Very last year..

TT

CaptainCrash1971
20th March 2010, 11:23 PM
You're quite right Ash, it might sound weird planning it's sale before it's built, but for me, the owning/driving of the car is probably only 50% of the appeal, with the other 50% being in the actual build. Otherwise I'd just spend my money on someone elses efforts and save myself about 6 months of my life.
If after the build I decide the building part was more enjoyable than the driving (doubtful I know, but I won't know till I got one), then I may as well get the most back for it.
It really doesn't matter to me personally if it says f reg or 10 reg, but there are people out there with more money than sense who will happily pay much more for a 'new' car than a one that appears 20 years old.
As I said earlier, it's highly unlikely to happen anyway, was just a general question which was bugging me at work today.

AshG
21st March 2010, 02:03 AM
i really enjoyed building mine, i too get great joy out of building things that i dont always find so enjoyable to use. rest assured the first drive of mine and i was hooked like it was a drug.

personally i would say 6months is a bit optimistic. mine took 18months with a 3month gap in the middle waiting to move house (if i went any further the chassis wouldn't have fitted through the house on its side). im not 100% sure but i would say 15months is probably the fastest scratch built roadster so far not that its a race.

spud69
21st March 2010, 09:11 AM
It can be done Captain, I bought the book after passing WHSmiths on the May bank holiday weekend in 2008. Start building from scratch mid May 2008 and car was on the road end of Jan 2009. 7 months build....;)

Then i am the type of person that once i start something i just cannot stop till its done.

AndyH

CaptainCrash1971
21st March 2010, 10:49 PM
I'm the same spud, won't settle till it's finished. Anyway, change of heart. I've slept on it, and the new reg doesn't make too much sense, I reckon it's going to go from a £5k build to a £8-£9k build, and there's just no point. I'd much rather have a nice car with a few nice extras on than a bottom of the range 10 plate.
I'm gonna take the initial advice I was given by you guys at saturn. Install a CVH engine from donor, then if it unfortunately meets a sad demise after a couple of months I'll fit a zetec.
Also changed my mind about throttle bodies/ECU. I reckon I can bag a new engine with megajolt and bike carbs producing 170bhp for about £1200. Or I can have a new engine with fuel injection producing 170bhp for about £2700. Ermmmmm, let me think!!!

HandyAndy
21st March 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi CC,

always worth "sleeping on it"

As you say , when the CVH goes "pop" then is the time for a new Zetec etc, as we discussed on your visit, when you use the CVH intially, you have lots of parts that then get put onto the Zetec making it an easy transplant ( medical term :D :D sorry couldn,t help myself ;) )

As you,ve been for a spin in Spuds car, you know what the 170bhp feels like :cool:

good luck in your hunt for the right donor.

cheers
andy

MightyMouth
23rd March 2010, 12:31 PM
If you want a new plate just get it registered here on a Q plate, find a mate in Ireland willing to help you out, sell it to him , he registers it in Ireland gets a 2010 plate, sells it back to you, you register it here on a new plate. Fin :)