PDA

View Full Version : Road Tax, B4 Stonleigh

dogwood
24th March 2010, 08:32 PM
I know I can find out when I get back to the UK...but:rolleyes:

As Stonleigh is on the 1st to 3rd May,
I don't really want to tax it for April.
I'm trailering it back coz it's a bit of a distance for the first run (550miles)

So can I get it taxed on Friday the 30th April, to commence the 1st May?
I got to go to the DVLA to get it done coz it's been on a SORN since Oct last year,
and online says I need an MOT

Cheers

flyerncle
24th March 2010, 08:46 PM
Dont quote me on this but I think you can tax for the next month on the 15th of the previous month,if that makes sense. (put some froggy plates on !)

AshG
24th March 2010, 08:51 PM
you can tax it 2 or 3 weeks before before you want it to start. do you want me to call the dvla for you tomorrow and double check?

HandyAndy
24th March 2010, 08:53 PM
Dont quote me on this but I think you can tax for the next month on the 15th of the previous month,if that makes sense. (put some froggy plates on !)

Erm....... I think when a car has been on sorn you can only tax it 2 days before end of month otherwise you would get approx 2 weeks free road tax as you would be showing a "valid" tax disc that would end in 6 & half months time .

You can only tax a car from the 15th of the month in readiness for renewal for the end of the month if the car is currently taxed ( not sorned ).

hope this helps

cheers
andy

Bonzo
24th March 2010, 09:03 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper David

I have tried to tax early at the post office ( Sorned Vehicle ) Been told the same as Andy :( :(

Here's the DVLA linky (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069680)

You should be able to Tax it on the 30th of April, in person at the local Post office in Kent though :)
Provided you can get them to accept that you don't need an MOT that is :rolleyes:

dogwood
24th March 2010, 09:23 PM
I know I got to go to the DVLA at Maidstone.
Cant do it online or at the postoffice.
Both say it needs an MOT.

I went to the DVLA just before I came back
They said it would have to be done there.
Just forgot to ask them when I could do it.

I'm not back till the 27th April so as long as I can get it done to start 1st May
I'll be happy. Don't realy want to give them a whole month for the sake of a couple of days (Tight bu***r I am)

frankie boy
25th March 2010, 06:35 AM
I know I got to go to the DVLA at Maidstone.
Cant do it online or at the postoffice.
Both say it needs an MOT.

I went to the DVLA just before I came back
They said it would have to be done there.
Just forgot to ask them when I could do it.

I'm not back till the 27th April so as long as I can get it done to start 1st May
I'll be happy. Don't realy want to give them a whole month for the sake of a couple of days (Tight bu***r I am)

Hi David

Your car is'nt 3 years old yet so you can down load this http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065277.pdf Fill it in and take it to the post office with your insurance and log book (V5) as prof. I did this last year and will this year. :D

dogwood
25th March 2010, 08:09 AM
Hi David

Your car is'nt 3 years old yet so you can down load this http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065277.pdf Fill it in and take it to the post office with your insurance and log book (V5) as prof. I did this last year and will this year. :D

Cheers Frank.

I'll do just that, and take it up the PO.
Worst they can say is "Computer says NO":rolleyes:
Then it's over to the DVLA...

HandyAndy
25th March 2010, 08:12 AM
Cheers Frank.

I'll do just that, and take it up the PO.
Worst they can say is "Computer says NO":rolleyes:
Then it's over to the DVLA...

Spud had the same prob, tried taxing online but the system said car needed an MOT ( which it doesn,t) & Spud had to go to the DVLA office to arrange the Road Tax.
thought this might save your legs David ;) :D

cheers
andy