PDA

View Full Version : Tax free fuel

aerosam
25th March 2010, 08:36 AM
Hi guys,

with the budget yesterday talking alot about fuel tax, I got thinking.

I'm building my car strictly for track use only, I have no intention of putting it through IVA and registering it. So, is there a way, legally, that i can buy unleaded/super unleaded petrol for it without having to pay fuel duty?

As it's never going on her Majesty's highways, it's not liable for fuel duty anyway. Why should I pay 120p per litre when before tax it's only 41p?

Just wondering that's all.

Big Vern
25th March 2010, 01:55 PM
You would have thought wouldn't you, if it ain't for road use then it shouldn't incurr tax. Unfortunatly good ole gordon:mad: :mad: got his hands on that one years ago and duty has to be paid on petrol regardless of where it's being used. This has put a lot of research and development centres out of business as the work went abroad due to the project fuel costs and why I'm on the job scrap heap:mad: :mad:

BV.

spud69
25th March 2010, 05:30 PM
You just can't believe that before tax it is 41p and we pay 120p.

80p per litre is just unbelievable.....:eek:

SeriesLandy
25th March 2010, 07:13 PM
How about a diesel barge engine? Then you can run it on red and avoid the tax.

aerosam
25th March 2010, 07:15 PM
almost makes me want to put a diesel engine in it, just so i can run it on red diesel and drive endless laps with one hand in the air with a middle finger extended to the taxman.

But no, I still think i'll stick with my 32v V8.

chrisunwin
25th March 2010, 08:30 PM
HI.

I believe that petrol powered boats can get tax free petrol!

Might be worth checking it out. There is a floating petrol station in the middle of Poole Harbor!

Chris

Enoch
25th March 2010, 09:19 PM
Kind of makes you laugh when he criticised the fuel companies 2 weeks ago for putting the price up. Hypocrite.

SeriesLandy
25th March 2010, 09:26 PM
HI.

I believe that petrol powered boats can get tax free petrol!

Might be worth checking it out. There is a floating petrol station in the middle of Poole Harbor!

Chris

Back in the days when I went out on my mates rib, the floating petrol stations were about 20p per L dearer than tesco. It was only the diesel that was/is cheap.

ozzy1
26th March 2010, 01:03 AM
On a lighter note petrol here is around $1.10-1.20 litre so around 70p a litre.When fuel prices spiked last year they hit $1.50 a litre there was almost riots and the govenment looked into removing the gst(vat) from the cost while the price was so high,although prices dropped before they did!

aerosam
26th March 2010, 06:56 AM
Well, having done some research, I have found out that you can buy LPG without fuel duty - just VAT if it isn't going to be used on the road.

Think about it, it's widely used in forklifts, hot air baloons, generators etc and none of those have to pay it.

But I bet a conversion for my big beemer engine would cost more than the rest of my build put together! :(

correl
26th March 2010, 07:59 AM
someone will be building a hybrid kit car next lol, diesel electric or something lol, the body one big solar pannel of a really long flex to plug your car in at home. I can hear you brain cog's turning in our nation of kit car builders

Can just see a top gear style jeff parked on every corner

bobbyh
26th March 2010, 09:54 AM
there was some one at the show 2 yrs a go building one he was trying to sell his idea. but they are out there

aerosam
26th March 2010, 11:30 AM
Well Westfield, MEV and now GTM are all aready developing electric cars. I'm sure that once the cost of hybrid technology comes down, we'll see it come into use in th kit car industry.

But, I digress...