PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob

K4KEV
26th March 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi everybody....1st post just had to relay my experience today when Spud took me out in their saturn sportscar roadster ...one word
A..W..E..S..O..M..E:cool: ...well I can think of some others but I won't go there. I had already bought the book and discovered this forum and to find SSC were only 20 minutes drive away it was an easy excuse to want to build one so I am now slowly going to begin to amass the parts and ask all kinds of Q's some of which I am sure will be going over old ground but us noobs will always perpetuate that.
Had a long chat with Andy (thanks for the time) and helped me out with a few thoughts (still fancy the ca18det engine though Andy). So hopefully at some point in the future I will be starting a build log just as many of you have and look forward to a challenge and a bloody fast car at the end of it:D
cheers
Kevin

Bonzo
26th March 2010, 08:15 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum :)

I can well imagine some of the thoughts that went through your mind whilst in Andys car :D :D

Any questions, just ask away.
Plenty of help & advice to be had here :)

flyerncle
26th March 2010, 08:36 PM
His face was a picture when he came back,the Cheshire cat did not get a look in. !;)

twinturbo
26th March 2010, 08:38 PM
Welcome.

Saturn seem to have lots of visitors which is gr8 news.

Roadster seems to be becoming a strong proposition for new builders,

I think us northern builders will be amle to have some good meetups when we are rolling ;)

TT

Enoch
26th March 2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome Kevin, someone's going to crap themselves in Andy's monster one of these days:D Damn good lads at Saturn, always willing to help and to go the extra mile.
Like I said, welcome to the looney bin, it's a damn fine forum.
Enoch

spud69
26th March 2010, 10:37 PM
Hello Again Kevin,

Glad you've posted and sounds like you enjoyed the ride out as much as me we'll get your wife out next time, hope you didn't have to do too much shopping afterwards. Sounds like it's your turn to do your shopping now.......;)

Couldn't push it out there too much though as roads still damp and greasy.... PLUS got my TOYO Proxes going on next week.....

Just a reminder for all Track Day at Teesside Autodrome - 9th April All Welcome..

Any help or advice Kevin you know where we are......;)

K4KEV
27th March 2010, 12:37 AM
Cheers for all the welcome's guys (n gals if there are any)
it is nice to know that there is a wealth of info on this particular marque that I will be able to tap, especially oooop ere in the far North and again many thanks for your time Andy....I,m sure I will be a regular visitor given my proximity to your works 20 and boy is that car a beast it has given me the incentive to 1 loose weight (it was a tight fit:p )....2 search my shed and loft for things to fix and flea bay them (got lots of stuff to repair) 3....capture my youth
(I built a vw nova back in the early 80's) ain't it great when you can find excuses to build a roadster. Yeah Flyerncl.....my grin was kinda chesire cat like but god knows how many times you have seen that recently.....nice little set up you have there Andy I hope it goes from strength to strength....right getting late now so its book (Mr Gibbs) or ebay for a bit:D

HandyAndy
27th March 2010, 12:42 AM
Hi Kevin,
I,ve just got back from a long trip down "sarf" :D

Welcome to the forum, sorry i wasn,t at the unit today, sounds like Spud looked after you with a trip out in his Roadster :cool:

No doubt we,ll meet up at the Saturn unit sometime.

all the best with your build.

cheers
andy

CaptainCrash1971
27th March 2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Kev
I too have taken the spud69 experience, still laughing about it.
I think we found the right forum, they all seem really helpful, really friendly, and of course mainly really MAD:p
I'm in the same position at you at present, just looking for the right donor. We'll have to keep in touch during our builds, we only live about 10 miles apart.
Good luck with your search for your donor.
Alan

Bonzo
27th March 2010, 06:37 PM
Alan & Kevin

I don't expect to see you Two having a fight over the same local donor car :D :D

You'll probably end up in an fleabay bidding war without knowing it :eek:

Good luck in your hunt for a donor chaps :)

GraemeWebb
27th March 2010, 07:15 PM
Alan & Kevin

I don't expect to see you Two having a fight over the same local donor car :D :D

You'll probably end up in an fleabay bidding war without knowing it :eek:

Good luck in your hunt for a donor chaps :)

Try a Beemer 318 E36

K4KEV
27th March 2010, 09:19 PM
Am seriously thinking about a nissan 200sx as a donor especially for the engine but maybe not the running gear I have a mate who is keeping an eye out for me re a sierra, but I do know that the ca18det engine is a absolute menace:mad: in bog standard form but it is also tunable to some real silly numbers,:eek: but I think that 169 horses will be more than adequate:cool:

K4KEV
30th March 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi Bonzo n capitanocrash
yeah it is easy to get pulled into a bidding war on fleabay, but thankfully I have a mate who knows some one in the breaking business......apart from that sierra's are commanding higher bids (might be sevenesque related:rolleyes: :rolleyes:) on ebay.... totally out of character....pity Chris did not use an Omega (plenty of those about at the mo)......I will follow the book up to and including the IVA but after that I will want to play with some other engine combo's.....is the MT75 g/box a lot larger than the 9 ? because I would like to errr on the side of caution to allow for a larger g/box if need be.
Yes Alan we must liase during our build ......a problem shared is a problem halved well in theory anyway, and there is also the lads down at SSC.
One thing I have noticed when I have told others that I intend to build a car, i have been rather overwhelmed at the responce..... WOW thats a cool thing to do or wish I had the balls to have a go at that, I have had shedloads of wellwishers saying yeah go for it maaaan.....thought there would have been a few poeple sayiing you've got a screw loose but not one.....very encouraging
hope to order steel soon and get cracking
roll on next summer (trying to be realistic)
K4kev

twinturbo
30th March 2010, 09:07 AM
The price of sierras is generaly definatly going up. Drifting and Kitcars are definatly playing a part in this.

Sporting modles are following the trend of previous sporting fords and raising in value quicker.

Very clean cars with high spec have also risen in value strongly.

Sheds are going up ( that must be the kit car 's )

middle of the road cars are hanging about, these are the more common ones that kit builders are getting outbid on as they are still useable general cars.

TT