PDA

View Full Version : Doing bodywork

geeman
27th March 2010, 11:21 PM
Ok, well im mock fitting the bodywork now, ive got full Fiberglas set from titron. I was wondering for the side panels, for cutting holes for the front wishbone/steering setup, should i have seen people have cut seperate holes for each thing coming through the chassis, but is there anything bad about just cutting a large section of the side panel off, so i dont have to spend extra time cutting and finishing loads of holes?

twinturbo
27th March 2010, 11:26 PM
-Engage frank mode- Well there is no readon not to do it appart from it lookinng crap.. - Disengage frank mode -

-Engage helpfull mode - Put the effort in, it's not worth shortcuttign it, you will end up looking at it and thinking it looks bad, and there's only one person you can point the finger at.. - disengage helpful mode -

TT

geeman
27th March 2010, 11:29 PM
-Engage frank mode- Well there is no readon not to do it appart from it lookinng crap.. - Disengage frank mode -

-Engage helpfull mode - Put the effort in, it's not worth shortcuttign it, you will end up looking at it and thinking it looks bad, and there's only one person you can point the finger at.. - disengage helpful mode -

TT

thought as much, its just i did the right side panel today, and did each hole separately, only to find i have to make one hole slightly larger as i had cut it slightly off, which p'ed me off a bit, so i thought i could just cut a giant, hole, guess ill do it properly then:rolleyes:

twinturbo
28th March 2010, 09:12 AM
Just make a good template.

TT

alga
29th March 2010, 12:06 PM
I might be wrong, but I think Roadster No. 1 has huge holes judging by the photos in the book.

geeman
7th April 2010, 12:01 PM
ok, im mock fitting the firbreglass rear tub and arches now, should i just cut a big hole out of the rear tub for the wishbones, and how should i mount the rear arches?

geeman
7th April 2010, 03:22 PM
ok, well ive done the tub now, and will make fittings for the rear arches tomorrow. I fitted the brake/rear lights and indicators as well at the rear, but after all that drilling, i cant touch anything without being in pain. My arms are full of fibre glass bits and it hurts. I was wearing thick gloves as well when i was drilling as i knew fiberglass is a pain to work with. owww!!! :mad:

geeman
8th April 2010, 04:01 PM
ok, i was doing the rear arches and wondered if the gap between the tyres and the arches is meant to be as big as this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4502364643_8cf046c457_b.jpg

The reason is the arches are already thouching the bottom of the chassis and looking at spuds car in this pic, his gap isnt as big.:

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums//tt335/handyandy_photo/Haynes%20Roadster/kitcar210310008.jpg

im using 15 in rims and 97.5mm wall tyres...

gingea1pom
8th April 2010, 04:28 PM
Geeman,

I hate to be a geek but the ‘50’ in 195/50/R15 is a percentage of the 195. The walls of your tyres are 97.5mm tall.

I cant help with the ride height problem though except to say if you put a full tank of fuel in and get two people sat in it will that make a difference?

Cheers Ginge

geeman
8th April 2010, 04:31 PM
Geeman,

I hate to be a geek but the ‘50’ in 195/50/R15 is a percentage of the 195. The walls of your tyres are 97.5mm tall.

amended :D :o

I cant help with the ride height problem though except to say if you put a full tank of fuel in and get two people sat in it will that make a difference?

Cheers Ginge
hmmm.. should have thought of that.. i guess i'll be fine as the arches wont go any lower on the chassis

gingea1pom
8th April 2010, 04:39 PM
Geeman,

Ref. ride height I haven’t got that far yet so am probably talking out of my a*r*.

I am stuck at my brother-in-laws in Manchester with nothing to do but check the forum. May be I should stop posting and just read!!!

Cheers Ginge

deezee
8th April 2010, 04:54 PM
Geeman, Don't you have your rear hubs on steel tubes, rather than on shocks?

geeman
8th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Geeman, Don't you have your rear hubs on steel tubes, rather than on shocks?

yes, atm, i havntn bought the shocks as they are expensive...

Tatey
8th April 2010, 06:01 PM
yes, atm, i havntn bought the shocks as they are expensive...

Looks like we've found your issue then :p. The shocks will compress even when no one is sitting in them as there is still a lot of weight over the rear end from the diff, chassis, fuel tank and body work, where as the tubes wont.

geeman
8th April 2010, 06:07 PM
Looks like we've found your issue then :p. The shocks will compress even when no one is sitting in them as there is still a lot of weight over the rear end from the diff, chassis, fuel tank and body work, where as the tubes wont.

hmm.. still been hesitant to buy the shocks(price), it'll probably be the last thing i buy..:D :p

deezee
9th April 2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah with a car even partly assembled, the shocks squish down a fair bit. Thats your issue then. You'll have to buy them eventually, whether its now or later. Might as well get them now, so you can mount everything correctly and cut your side panels to suit.

Tatey
9th April 2010, 02:24 PM
There is currently a group buy for shocks and springs going on at LCB forum, the guy is trying to get protech down to £350 delivered for a complete set.