PDA

View Full Version : Raceral's Build Update

raceral
28th March 2010, 07:21 PM
I dont post all that much as I dont always have that much to contribute.
That said though I enjoy reading the works of others.
Even though my car is on a different path than most it was still a frame originally inspired by Chis's design.

So this post is just to let everyone know I am still at it, moving a long at a slow but reasonably steady pace.

The webshots link will show photos of the wind screen and such that is not on the attached photo.

HandyAndy
28th March 2010, 08:49 PM
Looking nice Al, won,t be long before you,ll be out for a spin eh? :cool:

keep the photo updates coming, we all like to see other builders progress:)

cheers
andy

twinturbo
28th March 2010, 09:49 PM
More picies AL :D

And more details, come on, tell us alla bout it. And what it's like to get past the regs over there.

TT

vetteman1355
29th March 2010, 04:02 AM
Hi Raceral,
Where in BC are you located, we are in South Surrey, 2 buddies & I are just about to start a build each, would love to come & look at yours if you are close.
Nigel

raceral
29th March 2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys, I might be a bit repetitive here, but basically unlike nigel I didn't turn up a Merkur or similiar style of donor, at least not one that was cost effective.
So I decided to sort of go on my own with what was more easily available around my part of the country.
The engine is a 3.4 Liter GM V6 with an improved flat tappet cam, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4 barrel carburator and alum under drive pulleys should produce approximately 200 hp and about 210 ft pound torque.
The engine weighs 362 pounds with the flywheel, clutch, intake, carb, starter, water pump, plugs and damper.
The transmission is a borg warner world class T5 and the rear axle is a Ford 8.8 solid 5 link setup with limited slip.
It has a 3.73 final ratio but that might get changed to 3.27 or higher as time goes on and I get some miles under my belt:)
The chassis has a 93 inch wheel base with a 67 inch front track and a 65 inch rear track.
Wheels are 2007 Mustang off of Ebay, lucked out as I got them cheap and they were still in new the original boxes boxes.
The front spindles are from a Mustang II, as is the rack which has been narrowed by 3 inches.
I am using Gaz shocks and springs all the way around ,200 pound on the back and 350 on the front.

I guess that is sort of the meat of it, if anyone has any questions dont hesitate to ask.

TT, to get it on the road over here will need an inspection. I will need to apply for a vin number and at the time will have to say which shop the inspection will be done at.
The vin will be sent to that shop and I will be called into have my inspection done by them.
It seems quite critical as to pick the right shop as the standards vary a lot and much of it is up to the inspector.
If I go to an auto dealership they will more in likely inspect the car like a new 2010 vehicle and the car will not meet those types of requirements, if I go to a shop that specializes in hot rods then they will look more at the driving safety issues of the car instead of whether I should have a 20 mile an hour impact safe bumper.
Shop research will be important, there is more to it than that of course, the car has to be pre weighed and in some case a structural is rquired,depending once again on where it goes, it seems some do some dont.

No problem Nigel, if you wish to come and take a look sometime, I am just down the road a bit in Agassiz.
Also Mark has a completed 'book' car and he lives in Surrey as well, he can be found on the LocostUSA forum under Mainlandboy, his isn't a Haynes build but he is friendly and helpful.
I have added a few pictures, clicking on the pictures should bring up a bunch more, or at least lead to more.

Al

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/29588/2573318860000773316S200x200Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2573318860000773316wPympt)

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/42187/2126909260000773316S200x200Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126909260000773316nKoRcB)

Al

aerosam
29th March 2010, 06:35 PM
Al,

your car is looking really good. Can you see there being any issues with your front wheels protruding slightly from under the front wings?

I ask as I have a set of those wings spare in the garage, I had intended to use them but found that my front wheels poke out much like yours do.

raceral
29th March 2010, 07:20 PM
To be honest areosam I am not sure, my only concern could be the inspection.
I have a few photos of some older lotus 7's and some caterhams that show the tire sticking past about the same amount.

I do have the option to tuck them in a bit more by removing the 2 half inch spacers I have on the front wheels.
The spacers are precision fit for the bolt pattern and the reason I have them is because the 3 point center spinner caps I have will not fit against the outer race of rotor because of clearence issues.

My two choices were to machine the wheel center or try the spacer. I thought I would look at machining the wheel center as an last resort option. Depending how smooth a talker I am I might be able to get it by with the spacer first.

I could give up the spinner, but I like the look of it.

The other thing with the clamshells that doesn't always occur to people is that it is a little more difficult to get close to the engine when working on it as compared to cycle fenders, especially for some of us carrying extra luggage around our middles:D

Al

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/10338/2391669410000773316S200x200Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2391669410000773316LQWudR)

Enoch
30th March 2010, 05:00 PM
Wow, most impressive. Can't imagine what that sort of power must be like. I had a Jaguar 4 litre sovereign with the same power but it weighed as much as a small town. It was pretty quick so that power minus the weight will be in hypercar territory. Thanks for sharing the photos and info with us, it's great to see people taking a totally different approach.
Enoch.

raceral
9th November 2013, 10:19 PM
I have had the car on the road now for two years and it has been fun.
As these things are never really done I have decided to remove my clamshells and install some cycle wings for a change of pace.
I have added a few photos of the progress, the cycle wings need to be painted yet, I also made a cheap grill out of some wire shelving as well as new headlight mounts based on my clamshells mounts.

I currently have the transmission out as I am changing rear tailstock to eliminate the remote shifter.
The remote shifter works quite well, but confuses my Mrs with its straight line shift pattern.
Hopefully I will have the modified transmission in by the end of the month.
I have also decided to remove my rear end and swap the 3.73 gears out for 3.08's.
Need to make some wind wings as well as stone protectors for the rear wings.
So lots of little projects over this winter.

Al