PDA

View Full Version : Nylocs

Peter-C
31st March 2010, 05:32 PM
Is it an old wives tale or is it true with nyloc nuts that they should only be fully tightened once ? Continual loosening and re-tightening makes the grip weaker. I'm looking to tighten the suspension nuts but I know they will have to come off again in the future.

Cheers

Peter

gingea1pom
31st March 2010, 05:43 PM
Peter,

I am under the same impression and have changed all my suspension Nyloc’s for full nuts while I mock everything up then will change back to Nyloc’s for the final fitment.

Cheers Ginge

Bonzo
31st March 2010, 05:43 PM
Strictly speaking, it is a general recommendation that Nyloc nuts are used only once.

Why not get a handfull of M12 plain nuts for test fitting the suspension Or pack some washers under the Nyloc nut to pevent the nylon bit getting dammaged ;)

EDIT

Beat me too it Ginge :D :D

dogwood
31st March 2010, 05:47 PM
Yes Nylocks should only be used once.
But if in doubt, use some nut lock as well...

Bonzo
31st March 2010, 05:54 PM
But if in doubt, use some nut lock as well...

I tend to go absolutely bezerk with that stuff :D :D

My motto, if in doubt, give it a squirt .... Quite funny when someone says " What daft idiot put thread loc on that " :o :o

Peter-C
31st March 2010, 06:28 PM
Cheers lads

You've confirmed my suspicions. Talk about senior moments, it never occurred to me to use plain nuts until the final fitting . Doh !!

deezee
31st March 2010, 07:07 PM
Its actually mentioned in the book to use normal nuts for suspension, then pop the nylocs on when its virtually finished.

baz-r
1st April 2010, 01:58 PM
the rule is thay only work once and must be replaced every time

i have seen them come undone inservice before

you could use philadas/bent beam nuts insted but i bung new ones of thease too

i used nut lock one time and it melted the nylon ring :eek: