PDA

View Full Version : Hazard wiring prob

dogwood
1st April 2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys.

I've been finishing off my wiring
Given myself a little problem with the hazard wiring.
I know what I've done it wrong,
but need a fresh pair of eyes to see how to rectify it.

When I put the L/H indicator on the, the Hazard idiot light flashes.
I've tried putting the idiot between the switch and relay,
but that sends the relay bonkers...

Take a look at this for me.
See if anyone can see where to wire in the Hazard idiot light.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/muddypaws4x4/moddddd-1.jpg

davidimurray
1st April 2010, 07:38 PM
Can you not move the idiot light to the other side of the switch - i.e. about 1" vertically on the diagram so it is isolated from the normal indicator system.

Enoch
1st April 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Dave the idiot light will flash with the left there, just move it to the other side of the double pole switch.
Enoch

Enoch
1st April 2010, 07:39 PM
Another Dave beet me to it:)
That will fix it though.

Bonzo
1st April 2010, 07:43 PM
Just trying to wrap my head around that diagram David

It certainly looks as if the idiot light is geting a feed from the l/h indicator circuit ;)

Do you think that you might need a couple of diodes on the idiot switch side to prevent reverse power feeding fom the main indicator circuits :confused: :confused:

Bonzo
1st April 2010, 07:47 PM
Can you not move the idiot light to the other side of the switch - i.e. about 1" vertically on the diagram so it is isolated from the normal indicator system.

That's what I thought when I looked at the diagram .... Until I read that Dogwood had tried that already :confused: :confused:

Fubar relay !!??

dogwood
1st April 2010, 07:52 PM
The relay is ok, tried swapping them round
(Ie flasher to hazard)
They are standard Ford flasher relays.
With it wired the way it is, and fitting the idiot between the
relay and switch, the relay gives power to the idiot light.
So it flashes like mad all the time.

BTW glad it ain't just me....:D

Enoch
1st April 2010, 07:55 PM
Surely it could only do that if you had wired the other side of the idiot light to +12 instead of ground?? Otherwise where would there be a feed to make the relay go doolally? EG the light is powering the relay rather than vice versa.
Enoch

dogwood
1st April 2010, 07:56 PM
Do you think that you might need a couple of diodes on the idiot switch side to prevent reverse power feeding fom the main indicator circuits

Definatly could be an option....

Enoch
1st April 2010, 07:58 PM
Another thing I have spotted but assume is an omission, you have not shown a switch linked to the double pole switch that actually switches the feed to the hazard relay. If it ain't there it needs to be otherwise the relay will always be trying to flash.

dogwood
1st April 2010, 07:58 PM
Surely it could only do that if you had wired the other side of the idiot light to +12 instead of ground?? Otherwise where would there be a feed to make the relay go doolally? EG the light is powering the relay rather than vice versa.
Enoch

The relay is powering the idiot light
IE 12v in to relay then common out to the idiot light before the switch

dogwood
1st April 2010, 08:02 PM
Another thing I have spotted but assume is an omission, you have not shown a switch linked to the double pole switch that actually switches the feed to the hazard relay. If it ain't there it needs to be otherwise the relay will always be trying to flash.

Nope not an ommission.
That's how I though it should be wired.
It will only flash when power is drawn from the relay
IE indicator is switched or hazard is switched
Turning on the bulbs.
Otherwise I would need 2 switches.

Enoch
1st April 2010, 08:05 PM
So let me see if I have this right then, When you switch the hazard switch on and the idiot light is removed all 4 indicators flash. If you turn off the hazards and turn on the ignition the indicators work ok - correct so far?
If so your last statement can't be correct - all the double pole switch is doing in effect is connecting the left and right indicators to a pulsing 12 volts coming from the hazard switch. That would have to mean there is 12 volts being switched by the relay and coming out of the "c" terminal. Put a DVM there if you have one and you should see that.:confused:

Enoch
1st April 2010, 08:06 PM
Ah, ok, think we might be getting somewhere now. Just a min, need to think.....

dogwood
1st April 2010, 08:11 PM
OK.
Everything works just as it should.
There are 2 relays. one for the indicators and one for the hazards.
Not the normal one off, like Ford does it.

The only prob I got is the hazard idiot light.
Just cant figure how to connect it without it either
coming on with the indicators, or getting power from the haz relay

Enoch
1st April 2010, 08:16 PM
Ok, I guess what is happening then is that when you move the idiot light to the other side of the switch the small amount of current being pulled upsets the hazard flasher - I guess it flashes really fast like it would if you had one bulb blown only maybe quicker? Only way I can think of around that is with a 3 pole switch, the third pole switching the idiot light. The way you have done it is a bit weird as normally it is done with just a single flasher unit and a complex switch, as far as I am aware. Brain's a bit tired tonight so I might be wrong on that.

Enoch
1st April 2010, 08:22 PM
If you want to see how it's normally done - have a look here: http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/images/48.jpg
I am certain of what I said in my last post, if you need it to work like you have done it you will need a 3 pole switch.
Best and all that,
Dave.

dogwood
1st April 2010, 08:22 PM
You're dead right Enoch,.
On all counts...

I'm using an ordinary double pole switch, not the normal "Complex" one

Enoch
1st April 2010, 08:24 PM
You can prove it out by disconnecting the idiot light and proving everything is ok, then turn on the hazards and connect the idiot light to the side of the double pole switch (eg connect it after turning on the hazards just so it's not sending the relay mental with the indicators off). Everything should still work and the idiot light should flash. That would prove the theory.

dogwood
1st April 2010, 08:40 PM
Exactly what I did.
So I know it's the idiot pulling a small amount of power from the relay.
It's not the end of the world if I don't get it right.
I can live with the haz idiot flashing with L/H indicator.
It would have been nice if I could get it right with what I have, before I put the dash back together.

dogwood
1st April 2010, 09:09 PM
Just thinking about Ronnies idea of a diode in the system.

If I was to put a diode in the L/H wire from the double pole switch
So the power can't return from the indicator to the Idiot light.
But can go in the other direction from the Haz switch to the L/H lights.

Now we're talking..........."lektronikery"...:eek:
Would it work, if so then what do I need?

AshG
1st April 2010, 11:08 PM
just leave it until you get back and i will sort it for you.

dogwood
2nd April 2010, 08:56 AM
Cheers Ash.

Your goin to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo busy when I get there

:D :D :D :D

stanko
2nd April 2010, 05:09 PM
Hi
the simplest solution, use three pole switch, conect all three contacts on relay side together and conect hazard idiot light on that extra contact on the other side of the switch