PDA

View Full Version : front upright

old_bill
3rd April 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi guys
I managed to damage the 12m thread on the front upright when trying to get the bolt out. I've drilled and tapped it to accept 14mm bolt. Is this acceptable?
Also as a secondary securement for the mushroom inserts is it just a matter of drilling and tapping for a 8mm bolt?
I'm really just looking for some reassurance here :o

Bonzo
3rd April 2010, 04:02 PM
Personally, I don't see why not .... Plenty of material in that area to accept a larger bolt.
Just make sure you replace the pinch bolt with a similar M14 high tensile one :)

As for the mushroom locking bolt .... I was thinking along the lines of a M6 bolt, I guess M8 would be better.
Star washer & a nice bit of Loctite & the job will be a good un :cool:

dogwood
3rd April 2010, 06:50 PM
M8 a bit of overkill in my opinion.
M6 more than enough.

old_bill
3rd April 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys.
This project is a real steep learning curve for me, it's good to know that there's plenty help and information here on the forum. :)

dogwood
4th April 2010, 07:45 AM
It's a steep learning curve for me as well..:rolleyes:
I've been doing stuff like this all my life..
Still need to ask questions.

2 brains always better than one...
We got a forum full of brains,....... Well........Maybe..:D

AshG
4th April 2010, 07:56 AM
i havent got a brain :D

i used an m5 caphead bolt on mine all the second fixing is for is to stop the mushroom from pulling upwards which is never gonna happen if you do up the pinch bolt proper

HandyAndy
4th April 2010, 09:57 AM
it's good to know that there's plenty help and information here on the forum. :)

I totally agree, i couldn,t have built my car without the help & info from the forum members, :cool:

as for the "Brains"...... not sure about that bit :D

cheers
andy