PDA

View Full Version : Fog light

DaddyA
4th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Hi all,

Now that the IVA requires that the fog light can only be operated on dip or main beam.

Is it a simple case of moving 1 wire? Supply to the fuse from the light switch to the output side of the dip relay?

Not all that swept up on electrickery.

Bonzo
5th April 2010, 10:06 AM
I am no guru on electrical systems but yes Daz .

Guess the easiest way to do it is to take the 12v + feed for the fog switch from the dipped beam 12v + feed .... Somewhere near the steering wheel to help keep the cables tidy !!

Another option woud be to take the feed from the light switch .... The one with the Off / Side lights / Headlights
That way you should have power to the foglight on both dipped & main beam ;)

Like I say, no expert .... I just tend to bumble along & cross each bridge as I come to it :D :D :o

spud69
5th April 2010, 02:22 PM
Have a word with Mark on the forum Daz,

He has recently rewired his and wasn't as straight forward as we thought it would be. Again i'm no electrical guru but he found good solution at the end of a lot of head scratching.

AndyH

DaddyA
5th April 2010, 05:10 PM
Cheers for the replies,

I'll just jiggle a few wires and see what happens:eek:

gus
6th April 2010, 10:06 AM
Dipped & main beam relays are switch earth at the light switch, not switched +12v.

When I altered the wiring for mine I did it by inserting a relay. I put the relay in the power feed to the foglight switch, with the earth for the relay coil being switched through the light switch.

That way the power to the light was still switched on with the side lights, but the relay wouldn't become live until the lightswitch was was in the main on position.

I'll see if I can find a diagram to explain what I mean, and post it up.

Cheers

Gus

Bonzo
6th April 2010, 10:17 AM
Dipped & main beam relays are switch earth at the light switch, not switched +12v.

I'll see if I can find a diagram to explain what I mean, and post it up.

Cheers

Gus

Ahhhh ..... That'll be why I could see electrical flashes in the sky from Saltash last night :D :D

Cheers for that info Gus :cool:

gus
6th April 2010, 10:37 AM
I have attached a drawing of what I did. The fuse number, wiring colours, and pin numbers are all based on a standard Sierra wiring loom.

There are two grey/yellow wires going to the foglight switch. One is the night time illumination. You need to leave this one intact if you want it to light up with the dash, and cut into the other grey/yellow wire.

Please note I know naff all about electrics. I got a friend from work to strip out the loom for me, and remove all unnecessary fuses / relays from the loom.
I was quite concerned seeing him ripping out bits of wiring and throwing them on the floor, without even looking at the diagrams!!

Any questions let me know and I will ask him.

Cheers

Gus

DaddyA
6th April 2010, 04:24 PM
Cheers Gus,

I'll give it a go (soon). Busy playing with the roll bar at the mo.

Thanks again