PDA

View Full Version : Donor found!!

CaptainCrash1971
5th April 2010, 09:19 PM
I've possibly found my donor, 1991 1.8 cvh with 70k on the clock. Head refurbed a year ago, so no smoke. Looks nice and straight and genuine. A little pricey :( but have negotiated down to £375 delivered to my door. That price includes 4 months tax which I'll be able to cash in for 50 quid :)
Just wondering if people think that's ok or a bit overpriced, and how much can possibly be made by selling doors, mirrors, lights, interior etc. to recoup some of the outlay :confused:
Really struggling to find a really cheap one without driving 200 miles and having to hire a trailer to get it home.

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 09:41 PM
£375 Sounds ok judging by ebay ( the new parkers guide )

Seats can be difficult to shift due to having to collect.
Doors like wise.
Bonnet Likewise.

But advertise it on the FSOC website, so long as you don't overprice you will sell a fair but.

I may be interested in one or two things if the price is right ;)

TT

HandyAndy
5th April 2010, 09:55 PM
sounds like a fair deal, even better with a £50 tax refund , so only cost you £325 before you sell any parts, & sounds like the engine is " a goodun" :)

and the right engine if ever you wish to change to a zetec power plant.

I,d go for it if I was you, you might end up still looking for a cheaper donor for months without success.

cheers
andy

CaptainCrash1971
5th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, it's what I was thinking. Just let me know TT what you're after, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.
I reckon it's gonna be false economy finding a cheaper car miles away, just going to cost me a bomb to get it home.
Now, just to inform the wife of a new addition to the driveway...........

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Any pics?

TT

HandyAndy
5th April 2010, 10:04 PM
Now, just to inform the wife of a new addition to the driveway...........

mine was stripped in 1 day for eveything i needed, thanks to forum member "Flyerncle", i drove the sierra to his workshop , arrived 8am, the sierra was in the back of my van by 4pm :eek: less the shell of course.

cheers
andy

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 10:11 PM
Yep they come apart quickly...

I once removed most of the dash from a XR4x4 whilst en route to drop it off at a locost builder in gateshead. I needed the dash and was on a mega tight schedule as my wife was in hospital ( for waht turned out to be a dreadful 2 months!! ) ..

I could probably strip an entire car in a day by myself. So long as no fixings fail...

TT

CaptainCrash1971
5th April 2010, 10:20 PM
No pics as of yet, will post some once I get the car, and work out how to post pics on here. Interior is mint, two tone grey. Engine bay is absolutely gleaming with a bit of honest looking oil around the sump. The only rust seems to be around the rear wheel arch. Diff and box look fine too.
Is flyerncle quite local Andy, and does he make a habit of ripping peoples cars to bits? Might save me a divorce if I can get the car stripped away from home.

alga
5th April 2010, 10:26 PM
Supposing it's us, (kit)car builders, driving the prices up, there shouldn't be a lot of demand for the body and interior parts.

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Newcastle end of A69 ish....

TT

HandyAndy
5th April 2010, 10:28 PM
Is flyerncle quite local Andy, and does he make a habit of ripping peoples cars to bits? Might save me a divorce if I can get the car stripped away from home.

Flyerncle is fairly local to you & I ( gateshead ) but i wouldn,t wish to commit him to the task of stripping a car,

Tho to be honest, if you intend to "sell on" alot of the parts, I would suggest you strip it on your drive, the car can still look fairly decent during the strip down , which should keep er indoors off your back ;)
When my donor was stripped.....how shall i say this??? we were ruthless to say the least in its dismantle :eek: :D it wasn,t pretty , lol

cheers
andy

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 10:31 PM
Supposing it's us, (kit)car builders, driving the prices up, there shouldn't be a lot of demand for the body and interior parts.

Yeah... The saleable items are the bits kit builders want..

But Sierra owners are still on the lookout for slightly better condition stuff or upgrades.

A good non saggy headlining is money..
A full lockset is good
clear indicator make a little

Various bits can add up...

TT

Bonzo
5th April 2010, 10:34 PM
That price seems about the sort of money you should expect to pay for a good runner ;)

As Andy has said .... The ideal car to go for if you plan to install a Zetec in your build at a later date :)

Have fun stripping the donor .... I love it .... Ripping em apart, knowing you don't have to put it all back together again :eek: :D

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 10:38 PM
That price seems about the sort of money you should expect to pay for a good runner ;)

As Andy has said .... The ideal car to go for if you plan to install a Zetec in your build at a later date :)

Have fun stripping the donor .... I love it .... Ripping em apart, knowing you don't have to put it all back together again :eek: :D

It's fun searching endless boxes for that bit of trim... Honest!!!

TT

Bonzo
5th April 2010, 10:46 PM
It's fun searching endless boxes for that bit of trim... Honest!!!

TT

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

Spent ages today looking for my nice new shiny sump plug .... Removed it when I done the sump chop.

Got so frustrated, I sent Junior out to Halfrauds for another one :(

You just know I am going to trip over the other one tomorrow :D :D

twinturbo
5th April 2010, 10:50 PM
I will put a "Oh there it F....ing is!" T-Shirt in the post to you first thing tomorrow!!

TT

HandyAndy
5th April 2010, 10:53 PM
:D :D
when i was getting my chassis to the rolling stage I was forever losing my 17mm & 19mm spanner & sockets :eek:
to the point that i,d end up cleaning the garage just to find the little blighters :o

glad its not just me then , lol

cheers
andy

Bonzo
5th April 2010, 11:07 PM
I will put a "Oh there it F....ing is!" T-Shirt in the post to you first thing tomorrow!!

TT

I blooming need one .... I cleaned the Workshop up before I started work on the engine :eek: :D

Could loose stuff for England me :rolleyes: :o

flyerncle
6th April 2010, 07:09 PM
Stripping the car is no problem,getting rid of the bits is your nightmare.

And you did return at 3:45 just in time to go home (you know who you are !:p )

It was done with love and affection !

CaptainCrash1971
6th April 2010, 11:07 PM
I reckon I'll just take off any bits needed and set to the shell with an angle grinder. Chop it into buts small enough to go into me trailer and down to scrapyard. Just saves me loads of grief getting the shell picked up.
Plus, will be sooo much more fun!!!:D :D

HandyAndy
6th April 2010, 11:13 PM
I reckon I'll just take off any bits needed and set to the shell with an angle grinder. Chop it into buts small enough to go into me trailer and down to scrapyard. Just saves me loads of grief getting the shell picked up.
Plus, will be sooo much more fun!!!:D :D

don,t forget to keep the VIN plate ( from the slam panel), & cut out the chassis number that is down beside the drivers seat ;)

cheers
andy

twinturbo
6th April 2010, 11:26 PM
Use a reciprocating saw. The grinder will wear you out and is much more dangerous.

I have cut up ..

Sierra 4x4
Sierra 4x4
Sierra Ghia
Golf MK1
Granada MK3
Golf MK3

It's hard hard work...

TT

spud69
7th April 2010, 08:20 AM
Good to see you are getting on CC. Have fun with the sierra, i'm sure it's been said but i haven't read through, but keep all the paperwork and don't worry about getting rid of it - if Tow Law is like Hartlepool the scrap lads will be queuing up before you take it off the stands. Also carefully remove the wiring harness and label everything up good and proper, it'll save you loads hassle down the line. Also keep all nuts and bolts your bound to need the one you didn't keep.

Regards....AndyH