PDA

View Full Version : Virgin builder

stillabiker
6th April 2010, 04:45 PM
Not just a virgin builder but a virgin poster so please be gentle with me.

About to start a build but only as a track day car. Can't be bothered with DVLA et al!

I have found a XR4i less than a mile away. I assume that this is not a new idea so would ask if this is an OK unit for a track car. I am a little concerned about weight. Will this affect the balance of the car? Also is the running gear suitable or will I have to find another doner car for that.

As an alternative, has anyone used a Jaguar engine V6 or V8?

Thanks for any help you may give.

twinturbo
6th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Spikehause is using a 4i engine and running gear. ( I assume you mean the MK1 3dr 2.8 4i and not the later 5dr 2.0 ).

I am using the diff, drums, shafts and box of a 4i but mated to a 2.9 engine instead.

It's a bit heavy and only produces about 150BHP as standard. But engine and box can be changed at a later date anyway once your used to the POWER.

The Jag V6 is going to be a probelm as supplys of Getrag 221 Manual boxes are very very short. Not sure what box the V8 Jags use.

The 4i should yeild a number of parts for sale that will recoup some of your cost.

TT

Bonzo
6th April 2010, 05:06 PM
A warm welcome to the forum .... Great to see another West Country builder enter the affray :D :D

If you are planning an out and out track car & want to be competetive, personally I would be looking at high power lightweight engines ;)

If the XR4 is a 4 wheel drive one the front hubs will not be suitable for the roadster .... Not such a big deal as standard front hubs are reasonably easy to get hold of. :)

HandyAndy
6th April 2010, 05:18 PM
welcome to the forum, and still a biker at heart eh??? me too :D

the forum is a very friendly place, you,ll get all the answers you need i,m sure, no matter what they are about ( Roadster related of course :) )

good luck with your build.
there must be something in the west country water......so many Roadster builds down there :D

cheers
andy