PDA

View Full Version : Recommend reqd.

DaddyA
6th April 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi,

it won't be long and I'll be looking at getting the engine set-up and running sweet as (bike carbs, MJ lite and 1.8cvh).

Can anyone recommend somewhere that does a good job (preferably local to Devon/Cornwall)?

Had a brief chat with a local bloke who has a rolling road, tried talking me into single downdraft carb saying bike carbs weren't upto it. Also gave me the impression that ' its not a scooby so not interested'.

Anyway if anyway can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

How far would standard carbs be out if at all?

twinturbo
6th April 2010, 06:09 PM
Try Alan Jefferies in Plymouth,

TT

twinturbo
6th April 2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.enginetuner.co.uk/

DaddyA
6th April 2010, 06:29 PM
Cheers TT,

however, that could be the very man I was having a chat too????

twinturbo
6th April 2010, 06:32 PM
Strange, the usualy have a good reputation.

You could always go to Bog Brothers, they certainly won't turn their nose up at bike carbs.. Little ut of ya way though :D

TT

mr-p
6th April 2010, 07:48 PM
SRD LTDCar Engine Tuning & Conversion
Tel: 01566 778779| Newport Industrial Estate, Launceston, Cornwall PL15 8EX
Competition EnginesRolling Road TuningDyno Testing And DevelopmentE.C.U MappingChampionship Winning EnginesPerformance Parts

This chap is in Launceston so not far away, not sure what he is like but might be worth a call & chat.

Bonzo
6th April 2010, 08:12 PM
Cheers TT,

however, that could be the very man I was having a chat too????

Was you speaking to Alan J or Martyn J !!

Alan is a tad old school & more or less said the same to me ..... Martyn on the other hand is a lot more new school & lets his mapping skills do the talking ;)

Martyn has done a cracking job of mapping my eldest lads car .... Yep I admit it .... It is a Scooby :D :D

However, Enginetuner has never advised work that was not needed to get the best performance possible :)

gus
7th April 2010, 08:58 AM
A friend was talking to Mark Burley at MB Motorsport.
From this months CKC they have taken over operations of the quantum extreme kitcar range.

According to their website they have moved & can now offer rolling road facilities. Might be worth a call.

Xtreme works
Woolston Farm
Loddiswell
Devon
TQ7 4DU
Tel: 01548 559057 Mob: 07980 600452
info@mbmotorsport.eu

Cheers
Gus

DaddyA
7th April 2010, 04:38 PM
Cheers Fellas,

I'll have a ring round.

Bonzo - I'm sure it was Alan - beardy chap. Not doubting there work but didn't fill me with confidence if u know what I mean.

DaddyA
7th April 2010, 08:07 PM
A friend was talking to Mark Burley at MB Motorsport.
From this months CKC they have taken over operations of the quantum extreme kitcar range.

According to their website they have moved & can now offer rolling road facilities. Might be worth a call.

Xtreme works
Woolston Farm
Loddiswell
Devon
TQ7 4DU
Tel: 01548 559057 Mob: 07980 600452
info@mbmotorsport.eu

Cheers
Gus

Cheers Gus,

had a good chat with a guy there, missed his name. Very helpful and sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Loves bike carbs as well - bonus.

So I think that will be the place once I'm ready.

Thanks again:)

les g
7th April 2010, 11:00 PM
Cheers Gus,

had a good chat with a guy there, missed his name. Very helpful and sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Loves bike carbs as well - bonus.

So I think that will be the place once I'm ready.

Thanks again:)

Daz
they have an electrical guru...........on hand
who is alledgedly nothing short of a magician !!!!if you need any help and are going their way he will be a good source of help.
cheers les g

DaddyA
13th October 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi all,

just thought I'd up-date you on my rolling road quest.

I did indeed use MB Motor sports, nice bloke and seemed to be knowledgeable. Country lane access was interesting though.

Only wanted to get it on the RR to check all was in order, fuelling emissions etc and hoping to check the engine was producing what it should - around 90bhp I think.

After balancing the carbs and a bit of a warm up he did a few runs to make sure everything was ok.

I don't think its a nice thing to watch as he's revving your pride and joy, but it was nice to see it staying together (might have to check a few nuts!).

After a few runs of increasing speed, it was hsowing that it was running lean up the range. A quick drilling out of the jets to 1.8mm and a quick check run seem to have sorted that.

Finall run and a good thrashing (didn't seem to stop at the MJ set rev limit?), although he couldn't gve me a print out, he said it was kicking out 90bhp at the wheels which doesn't seem to bad to me (reckons its about 105/110 at the engine)?? Printing out capability is in the pipeline.

Must say it did sound nice though (whilst trying to forget the engine could be splattered all over the workshop any minute).

In the end, emissions ok, engine in one piece and happy with bhp for the minute!;)

Bonzo
13th October 2010, 06:33 PM
Pleased to hear that all went well on the RR Daz :cool: :)

IVA the next big step for you & I hope it goes equally as well for you mate :)

Jimmyd
13th October 2010, 08:22 PM
90 at the wheels sounds pretty good Daz. Although I've started my CVH on the bikes carbs it's just been using the edis, I haven't got my MJ yet but wouldn't mind getting a copy of your map if you'd share.

J

mark
13th October 2010, 08:28 PM
Same output as mine was :)

The rev limit is only a soft limit that retards the ignition back to zero which is acutally 10degrees before tdc as thats the edis default

So it will still rev past that point but once on the road the sudden loss of power when it hits the preset limit is very noticable and makes you change gear

DaddyA
15th October 2010, 02:01 PM
90 at the wheels sounds pretty good Daz. Although I've started my CVH on the bikes carbs it's just been using the edis, I haven't got my MJ yet but wouldn't mind getting a copy of your map if you'd share.

J

Jimmy,

it felt pretty rapid up the street so should go well on the open road. If you PM me your email I'll send the map on.

Cheers

DaddyA
15th October 2010, 08:12 PM
Jimmy, Dave,

you should have an email with attachment:)