PDA

View Full Version : What shocks and springs

mdasseville
7th April 2010, 04:39 PM
Hi All

come to the point when i need to buy shocks and springs,...what i would like to know is what spring rate,..i'm running a Yam R1 engine and a haynes chassis and sierra running gear.
i think i'm looking around 160-190lb on the back and 200-250lb front.
has anybody got this setup?

Cheers

Mike:confused:

HandyAndy
7th April 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi Mike,

the figures you,ve quoted for the rears is far too softly sprung, as you,ll have 2 people plus the fuel tank & all the running gear I would suggest 250lbs on the rear.
As for the front, most folk with a car engine use between 300 to 350 lb springs so as you.re using the bike engine maybe 250lb on the front too.

cheers
andy

AshG
7th April 2010, 06:18 PM
i have got 350's on the front 200's on the back but thats with a pinto upfront. seems ok but i have nothing to compare it to.

i would guess 250-275 on the front due to the reduced weight.

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 06:31 PM
is there any way to work out the LBs' of a set of springs. I haev some second hand ones that came of a Westi or something but not sure on teh springs..

TT

HandyAndy
7th April 2010, 06:34 PM
is there any way to work out the LBs' of a set of springs. I haev some second hand ones that came of a Westi or something but not sure on teh springs..

TT

most springs have the spring rate engraved on the bottom flat ( spring seat);) :D

cheers
andy

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 06:36 PM
will have a butchers when the kids have gone to bed. In the back of the galaxy at the moment, I have brought back a load of stuff that's been delivered to work over the last few months for all the projects.. not sure where it's all going to go :o

TT