PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

xepowered
7th April 2010, 08:18 PM
hi to every one firstly great site

years ago when i was a boy i was reading my dads book how to build a sports car......(ron champion)

now i am 27 and i am gonna build myself a roadster (chris gibbs) i am a qualified mechanic fairly good workshop at home etc etc

a few questions i cant get hold off a sierra cheap (well what i call cheap any) way what is going rate for a mot failure not botherd about engine cause i have a xe redtop sitting on my garage crying out to be fitted to something i used to do a lot of nova/ corsa turbo/redtop conversions

any advice welcomed on how to approach the roadster build

i am in carlisle just for information

thanks again

jay

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Jay

Sierra's are thin on the ground in the border city. I Can probably count all of them on my two hands.

MOT failuers should come in the region of 100-300 depending on condition. But there's been maybe 4-5 in a 60 mile radius since christmas and they have all seen just over 400 with an MOT.

Perhaps a recon mission to Douglases, or out to the guy at Brampton. All you realy need from the donor is the diff, shafts, hubs, drums, column and gearbox. The rest you will probably find from all sorts of locations..

XE's are quite rare for some reason, I think cos they make a few quid and a Zetec can be had for quite a few quid less..

Welcome by the way. Will be good to hook up and comapre notes!

TT

spud69
7th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Hello Jay,

Welcome to the forum to another builder, sounds like you've go your build in 2nd gear already.

Enjoy the forum it's a great place for advice and a bit of good crack..

Welcome....AndyH

Bonzo
7th April 2010, 08:43 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Cheap Sierra's are hard to come by these days, mosk folk are wise and know what they are worth to KIt Car builders !!
Having said that, one will come along when you least expect it & at a price you'll be comfortable paying.

Perhaps TT will let you strip one of his Sierras being as you are local & all that :D :D

I too have a Red Top sitting in the corner of the workshop .... It keeps calling to me :)

Going to stick with the Zetec for the time being, after IVA who knows what'll happen ;)

xepowered
7th April 2010, 08:44 PM
Hi Jay

Sierra's are thin on the ground in the border city. I Can probably count all of them on my two hands.

MOT failuers should come in the region of 100-300 depending on condition. But there's been maybe 4-5 in a 60 mile radius since christmas and they have all seen just over 400 with an MOT.

Perhaps a recon mission to Douglases, or out to the guy at Brampton. All you realy need from the donor is the diff, shafts, hubs, drums, column and gearbox. The rest you will probably find from all sorts of locations..

XE's are quite rare for some reason, I think cos they make a few quid and a Zetec can be had for quite a few quid less..

Welcome by the way. Will be good to hook up and comapre notes!

TT

i get on really well with paul at the big micky D and used to work at autobits stripping cars on the weekend for extra cash and totally bringing up A blank were abouts in carlisle are you

xepowered
7th April 2010, 08:47 PM
thanks for the warm welcomes guys just need to source some steel but i have notice on flee bay there is a flat pack kit avail any one had any experince with it saves a lot of messing about cutting angles etc etc any info greatly appriciated

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 08:49 PM
Stanwix m8.

And no ya can't strip my sierra's they are keepers..

Which garage do ya work for?

I was not refering to autobits ( that's the one near longtooon aint it? ) There's one down a little lane just near William Howard School.

I am sure we will be able to help eacho ther out, the nice thing for us is having VOSA in the town, and the dvla almost next door.

TT

Bonzo
7th April 2010, 08:56 PM
thanks for the warm welcomes guys just need to source some steel but i have notice on flee bay there is a flat pack kit avail any one had any experince with it saves a lot of messing about cutting angles etc etc any info greatly appriciated

The flat pack chassis kits you see on ebay are made by our very own Handyandy :)

I am sure that if you send him a PM he'll sort you out with a good deal ;)

One thing for sure .... You will only hear good things about Andy's chassis kits & the after sales service that he provides, not only to his customers but all forum members :cool: :)

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 08:56 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brampton+cumbria&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.555061,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brampton,+Cumbria,+United+Kingdom&ll=54.951917,-2.739662&spn=0.002166,0.004812&t=h&z=18

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 08:57 PM
If ya want a flat pack kit.... I am at Saturn on Saturnday.... Save the postage but I think it may be a bit of a rush for Handy :D

TT

xepowered
7th April 2010, 08:59 PM
Stanwix m8.

And no ya can't strip my sierra's they are keepers..

Which garage do ya work for?

I was not refering to autobits ( that's the one near longtooon aint it? ) There's one down a little lane just near William Howard School.

I am sure we will be able to help eacho ther out, the nice thing for us is having VOSA in the town, and the dvla almost next door.

TT

i used to work at duncans at longtooooooon mot testing, i drive a wagon for stobarts more money than fitting during the week are you in the trade you must be on about jeremy pattersins at brampton havent been there for years is he still going

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:01 PM
Your just out of luck too... As a complete chassis sold on ebay last week located in Annan..

The other popular donor is a E36 BMW, but it does require more fabrication. Not sure if you can get an adapter for the gearbox either, I know they used to use Getrag boxes like Opel.

TT

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:04 PM
That could be him, he was there about a year and a half ago and still going. Always a good price.

I am not in the trade, just my main hobby.

TT

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Ironicaly.... We sort of have the same boss ....

TT

xepowered
7th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Ironicaly.... We sort of have the same boss ....

TT
go on then elaborate lol

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:13 PM
Well..

I work for a certain educational establishment, that is part sponserd By Mr T. Talked to him briefly once whilst setting up for a presentation...

TT

xepowered
7th April 2010, 09:16 PM
Well..

I work for a certain educational establishment, that is part sponserd By Mr T. Talked to him briefly once whilst setting up for a presentation...

TT

closer than i will ever get i just drive a truck lol

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Don't wait for a donor before you start, there is plenty to get on with beforehand.

Can you hide a sierra in the back of a curtainsider????

I have not realy botherd with a donor. I had a few bits, blagged a few others, bought a few..

2.9 V6 for me ..

I bought a chassis almost complete from a member in glasgow.

If your not going down the flat pack route ( I would have if the chassis had not poped up for sale, I am buying wishbones and body from saturn) then go to Thomas Graham for your steel, they are fairly well priced and everythign is Ex-Stock.

TT
TT

xepowered
7th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Don't wait for a donor before you start, there is plenty to get on with beforehand.

Can you hide a sierra in the back of a curtainsider????

I have not realy botherd with a donor. I had a few bits, blagged a few others, bought a few..

2.9 V6 for me ..

I bought a chassis almost complete from a member in glasgow.

If your not going down the flat pack route ( I would have if the chassis had not poped up for sale, I am buying wishbones and body from saturn) then go to Thomas Graham for your steel, they are fairly well priced and everythign is Ex-Stock.

TT
TT

i can get anything picked from anywere if i need to i can get a e30 bmw for next to nowt if there any good

been looking at a chassis on flee bay 400 notes buy it know supplied by talon and then not needed

twinturbo
7th April 2010, 09:41 PM
Talon is around on here too.

E30 would probably do fine. The problem you will find with either the E30 or E36 is that nobody supplies wishbones, rear uprights, etc.. So that's all going to be have to modded from the sierra based units or totaly scratch built.

There are one or two BMW builders here.

It's realy up to you which way you go with the chassis build,

Cut yourself ( cheap but long, tedious, prone to errors )
Flat pack ( Still have to weld it up )
Stage 1 chassis ( basic frame built ) ( Tallon or Saturn )
Stage 2 chassis ( suspension brakets added ) ( again tallon or saturn )
stage 3 chasisis ( fully built plated chasssis )

Flat pack is a good option, but if your keen on COST. then you have to factor in the cost of gas and electricity on the welder, and a good build table is going to add a few £'s

I jumped at the chance of a prebuilt chassis when it came up.

Saturn have open days on Saturday mornings ( Dubd by me Saturndays ;) , all welcome for a chat and a Burger from their washing machine BBQ... It may be worth you having a trip over and having a chat with Spud and Handy.

I am there this saturday, if it was not for me taking the family and stopping over in Whitby I would get you to tag along!

TT

P.S. Do you get your own Tractor? if so what's her name?

HandyAndy
8th April 2010, 12:03 AM
If ya want a flat pack kit.... I am at Saturn on Saturnday.... Save the postage but I think it may be a bit of a rush for Handy

TT

:eek: Gulp......

Ronnie......... thanks for the very kind words , blushing now, & lost for words ( makes a change I know ) :D

Jay........... welcome to the forum, you,ve come to a friendly place, looks like you & TT have hit it off already, :D
The Flat packs you mention on Fleabay are indeed the kits that I supply, if you have any questions regarding the kits just get in touch........as for getting one cut ( all made to order ) by saturday might be pushing it tho , :eek:

whichever route you take , I wish you well with your build.

cheers
andy

xepowered
8th April 2010, 07:10 AM
thanks everyone for the help

TT my truck is caitlen gemma, but it is going shortly new shiney 10 plate for me i am on a chipliner out of lockerbie, if you are interested in this sort of stuff my wife works in the shop at carlisle

jay

spud69
8th April 2010, 08:18 AM
If ya want a flat pack kit.... I am at Saturn on Saturnday.... Save the postage but I think it may be a bit of a rush for Handy :D

TT

Gordon Bennet Rob, i thought i put HAndy under some pressure at times.....:cool:

No wonder he always wears a cap to keep his hair in.;) ;)

AndyH

Enoch
8th April 2010, 08:49 AM
Welcome to the forum Jay, it's a great place to be. I went the Saturn flat pack route for my chassis - glad I did as it worked out beautifully. You can see how it has come out at www.deepfolly.co.uk Still fairly early days but as you will see the kit went together without problems.
Best of luck with the build.

twinturbo
8th April 2010, 09:10 AM
1 other XE builder ..

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=18

TT

HandyAndy
8th April 2010, 12:59 PM
I went the flat pack route for my chassis - glad I did as it worked out beautifully. You can see how it has come out at www.deepfolly.co.uk Still fairly early days but as you will see the kit went together without problems.
Best of luck with the build.

Thanks Enoch, :)

I can,t believe how quick your build is progressing :eek: :cool:

And always enjoy the witty build log write ups too :D

cheers
andy