PDA

View Full Version : scafolding bar for roll bar

layotn20
11th April 2010, 09:12 AM
got some scaffolding bar yesterday, its 48mm o.d and got 4mm wall. is this iva ok for crossmember on roll bar. and going to mount harness mounts like ASH (sink them into the bar)

deezee
11th April 2010, 11:05 AM
IVA makes no requirements for the cross member. So you can use what you like. However I would prefer to use seamless tube for fitting something as important as seatbelt mounts.

AshG
11th April 2010, 06:55 PM
IVA makes no requirements for the cross member. So you can use what you like. However I would prefer to use seamless tube for fitting something as important as seatbelt mounts.

thats not correct actually. there is a requirement that states what ever is used for a seatbelt mounting point needs to be strong enough/fit for purpose. in our case the cross bar is part of the upper seatbelt mount assembly as is the roll bar and the way it attaches to the chassis. the tester will be looking for something that is strong enough to do the job.

i would say 48mm 4mm thick will be plenty strong enough but make sure you take some pictures of the material prior to using it as it may be brought in to question during the test.

HandyAndy
11th April 2010, 07:10 PM
my cross brace bar is scaffold tube,
Ash.......good suggestion to take photos showing the thickness :cool:

i,m about to weld mine in place this week.

cheers
andy

fabbyglass
11th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Check first as some scaffolding can be galvanised which buggers it for welding properly especially for something as critical as a roll bar....don't be a tight arse with your own safety.;)